How Theatre Changed My Life

How Theatre Changed My Life

A personal story.

46
How Theatre Changed My Life
Odyssey

I always thought it was going to be a phase as a kid, but I was very wrong. This is my story.

When I was a child, my parents signed me up for community theater and I never thought anything of it. I thought it was just going up on stage and singing and dancing. After grade five, I left the acting career without looking back.

Fast-forward to four years later when I fell in love with musical theater. I have seen 33 or so Broadway shows in a two-year. But how did it change my life? Imagine a teenager unable to play sports, because, for one, he didn't enjoy them, and also because he was purely awful. Imagine a person with limited friends, not loving the life he was living, with nothing to be proud of. That was essentially me until I joined a little place up in Glen Rock, New Jersey, called Porch Light Productions. This is where I discovered the art of lighting design. By joining this theater, I fell in love with a hobby different than ones I had pursued my entire life. From there, I would do tons of shows every other month, and after I was set on this, I learned more and went on to getting jobs from outside places designing their shows and making such a great life. I can now be proud of what I like to do and talk about it with friends, or even at dinner parties. By joining the theater community, I was able to work on much-needed social skills. I have made tons of friends by doing shows at school, whom I love dearly. By doing community theater, I have met some amazing people that I love to talk with and hang out with in my free time.[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F09%2F07%2F6360888738158185221558156137_cleardot.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=231&h=c8ba58175e4995df5e8e63521802a6c58a33863ff09d939321a15cef73d607fa&size=980x&c=3618612776 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F09%252F07%252F6360888738158185221558156137_cleardot.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D231%26h%3Dc8ba58175e4995df5e8e63521802a6c58a33863ff09d939321a15cef73d607fa%26size%3D980x%26c%3D3618612776%22%7D" expand=1]

It changed my life even more because it gave me something to love and love doing every single show I get. I could never imagine my life without it no matter what anyone says about it I will always love what I do.

Yours Truly,

David Heguy