The Worst Parts Of Coming Back From Break

It's exciting to be back, but every up has its downs.

1
psynovec/Shutterstock

With the excitement of going back to college and seeing all the new friends we made in the fall, most of us forget that there are some downsides to coming back to our favorite little college towns. It is mostly excitement of seeing everyone come back and having a fresh slate in school, but nothing’s perfect.

1. No Food

When you leave for school, you either get rid of the food sitting in your dorm room, or you come back to stale and moldy food. None of the dining locations on campus reopen until classes start again, so basically you spend a couple of nights trying not to starve. Unless you have a car and are brave enough to deal with the hordes of people and the snowy roads.

2. Waiting for Friends

It’s already been a month since you’ve last seen your college friends, and now you have to wait for the whole gang to get back to the university and unpack. Your days at college are usually spent with these people, but since they aren’t back, what do you do? Thank goodness for Netflix.

3. Netflix

If you’re anything like me, you binge watched your most recent series on Netflix over the break. Weeks of endless days with nothing to do left plenty of time to watch season after season of your most recent addiction. Bad thing about that is, is that now you have to find a new show to watch. Do you go with the same type of show? Try something new? At some point since returning to your dorm you’ve asked all your friends what their most recent vice is on Netflix and maybe you were lucky enough to find something you like.

4. New Roommates

Some of us are unlucky enough to have had a roommate or two move out at the end of the fall semester, and now you come home to a stranger. You’re going to have to rearrange your fridge, and take them to meet all your friends (given that they haven’t made any yet), and you’ll need to take the time to get to know them. It’s even harder if you had a great roommate beforehand, so they’ll have high standards to meet.

5. STRESS

As we all get ready for the semester, there’s a whole new schedule of classes to prepare for. Between making sure you can get all the necessary books (and pay for them), and planning out your first week back, it can be a little overwhelming to come back. Luckily there’s syllabus week to help get back into the swing of things.

6. Leaving our Family

After a few weeks, we are all pulling our hair out after having to deal with our younger siblings and the rules of living with our parents again. But home really is the best place to be. No dorm or apartment will be able to match our childhood homes with parents who make dinner and siblings who love us unconditionally, even if they drive us wild. It’s like moving into college the first time but with only a few less tears.