The Unofficial Official Marvel Movie Ranking

You only have one life to live, so why would you waste it watching DC movies?

200
YouTube

As we all anxiously await the opening night of "Black Panther," it's a good time to sit back and reflect on the past cinematic masterpieces that are Marvel movies. While Marvel still trumps DC in every which way and area, we can all admit that even Marvel's worst still isn't anything compared to.. echm... "Superman Vs. Batman."

Anyways, let's embark, shall we?

The Worst:

1. "The Incredible Hulk"

Okay... this movie is one of the first that Marvel produced, only the second in Phase One (2008), so we can all admit we have to give it at least a little bit of the benefit of the doubt. CGI wasn't that great yet, acting was subpar (I mean, listen, no one can beat Mark Ruffalo, as a person or as an actor).

But overall, there are a few parts of that movie when it made me painfully cringe. Actually... almost all of the movie makes me cringe. Sorry, Marvel.

2. "Doctor Strange"

Alright, before people start throwing things at me, just hear me out. When I first saw this movie, I couldn't even focus. For some reason, this plot did not stick with me one bit. I tried watching it again, but nope, still was not my thing.

For some reason, this movie is just not one that I think is the greatest. The acting is good and the effects are amazing. The plot is interesting, however, I think that Marvel could have just played this out a lot better.

3. "Iron Man"

Ah yes, the first Marvel movie ever (at least in the modern universe). We got this taste of superheroes and the world was hooked. Robert Downey Jr. made his debut into this world, and let's be honest, we don't want him to leave anytime soon.

This movie packs humor, sadness, and all around bad-ass technology into this neat little package, wrapped up with a bow. However, graphics suck, the plot doesn't really flow as well as it could, and some of the scenes just really kill me.

4. "Thor: The Dark World"

This movie had me holding my abs dying of laughter, but I felt as if that was literally the only good part of the movie. The whole Jane in London thing, yeah, no. Honestly, whenever I watch this movie, I'm just in it for Sif and Loki. The rest just kinda... sucks. Sorry, not sorry.

5. "Avengers: Age of Ultron"

Okay, some parts of this movie absolutely kicked ass, however, *spoiler alert* THEY KILLED OFF PIETRO AND THAT IS NOT OKAY! I am a firm believer that they did not need to kill him off in order to continue and further the plot. And for this reason, and the reason that Ultron was mediocre, this movie is not one of my favorites. I do enjoy the movie, but those few parts really just throw me off.

6. "Iron Man 2"

This movie is a whole bunch of laughs and was by far one of my favorites during the beginning of Phase One, but as more movies have come into the Universe and better plots have been put forward, this guy just kind of sits in the back for me.

It's very interesting to see how much Tony progresses during this movie in terms of character, not to mention we get our first real taste of Happy and Natasha, but it just doesn't stack up to the other movies as it should. It's still a good one though.

7. "Thor"

Ah yes, our first introduction to the loveable, teddybear of a god. This movie is packed full of humor, from the shot given to Thor in the butt to the fake license (oh, hello Dr. Donald Blake), to the coffee cup, pop tarts, and the request for a horse, this movie is an all-around comedic masterpiece.

Also, Stan Lee's cameo from this movie is probably one of my favorites. But this movie just doesn't really stack up with the others.

8. "Ant-Man"

The first time I ever saw this movie, I was extremely sleep deprived, hour fifteen of an eighteen hour flight to Spain, with little to no leg room and a pounding headache. It was hilarious to me at the time.

But I watched it again, a little more awake this time, and I found it not nearly as intriguing, nor funny. Yes, it was funny, but it was also kind of... stupid. I feel like they treated this entire movie as one big running joke and didn't take it nearly as seriously as they should have in some parts.

Deadpool and Spider-Man are the comedic reliefs of the Marvel Universe. This was just too much for me. Also, I hate ants. Give me the creepy crawlies.

9. "Guardians of the Galaxy"

This movie is absolutely hilarious. If I ever need a pick-me-up, this is one of my go-to's. The soundtrack was actually what my high school color guard would use during our warm-ups. I love this movie, just not as much as I love others.

10. "Thor: Ragnarok"

This movie is another good one. I love the relationship between Thor and Hulk, and honestly, Loki is one of my favorite characters, so any movie with him in it is a good movie to me.

11. "The Avengers"

I would like to just start this off by saying that this is the first movie where we really see a relationship between Clint and Natasha and have the opportunity to get to know them better. Clint and Nat are some of my favorite characters in the Universe, not to mention Coulson and Fury.

This is the first time we see Tony actually work side by side with other people and having to swallow his ego. We also see Cap come forth as a leader and prove himself yet again. We see him still struggling to work through what happened to him.

We finally get to see Mark Ruffalo as Hulk (thank GOD) and he adds much-needed depth and humor to the character. All around, this movie will always have a special place in my heart (it was the first Marvel movie I ever saw).

12. "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2"

First off, this movie gets extra brownie points just because of baby Groot. This movie was a lot more personal for the characters than the first. I felt like I could connect with the characters a lot better than the first.

The plot was amazing and the way that it all played out was just perfect for me.

13. "Captain America: The First Avenger"

Let me just start off with the fact that Cap is my favorite Avenger, always has been, always will be, so there is definitely some bias coming into play here. You've been warned.

This movie is what truly got me into the Marvel Universe. It was the first movie that made my heart jump, made me laugh until I couldn't breathe, shook me to my core, and then proceeded to rip out my heart and beat it with Negan's bat.

I cried for hours. My mom couldn't figure out what was wrong. This movie is amazing to me.

The whole story of Captain America is amazing too. I mean, come on, the cover of the first comic was Cap punching Hitler across the face. During World War II. Also, Little Steve is someone that I can relate to on a deeper level. Not to mention the friendship between Bucky and Steve is one that I strive for.

'Till the end of the line?

14. "Iron Man 3"

While this movie is not my favorite, it is by far the most important. This movie tackles so many current and real-world issues. PTSD, anxiety, Middle Eastern relations, sweatshops, childhood abandonment — you name it, this movie addresses it.

We finally see a character in a prominent movie breaking down, having flashbacks, and saying that they are having an anxiety attack, saying that they are experiencing symptoms of PTSD, showing that it is not at all pretty.

This movie was pivotal for the Marvel Universe. Since this movie, they have dabbled more with darker themes and allowing the characters to show their absolute weakest points (Bruce admitting to attempting suicide, Cap going to a meeting for PTSD, Sam leading those meetings for fellow soldiers, Nat having PTSD from Russia), but still being bad-ass superheroes despite this.

Pepper really pisses me off in this movie. But that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

15. "Captain America: Civil War"

This movie found a way to smash my heart into a million pieces, but I am okay with it. Again, major bias here. All of the fight scenes in this movie were beautifully planned and choreographed, the script was spot on, and the emotions of the actors really allowed us to feel what they were feeling.

It tore me up to see the Universe split into two, and don't even get me started on Peggy's death, however, the introduction to the Black Panther and seeing how they seamlessly blended three or more plots into one coherent movie is just pure gold.

It was also amazing to see Sam interact with Bucky and Rhodes. That guy cracks me up. #TeamCap

16. "Spider-Man: Homecoming"

Let's be honest, how can you not love this movie? Peter is hilarious and Tom Holland pulls it off so well. We really get the sense of the super-awkward teenage kid who just really wants to fit in.

I do wish that they would have included a little more backstory in this movie, but we have to take what we can get. Vulture always kept me on my toes and Spidey never failed to make me laugh.

You can really feel the depth that Tom gives to the character. It makes for a great movie, and it shows.

The Best:

17. "Captain America: The Winter Soldier"

Okay, this movie ripped out my heart, tore it to shreds, threw it into a meat grinder, then put it into a blender, then a juicer, drank it, digested it, and then pooped it out and buried it with a shovel. Bucky is my favorite character in the Marvel Universe, so seeing him in this much pain and struggling to put his life back together killed me.

They literally used him as a war machine people!

Not to mention, the vast majority of this movie (and "The Avengers") was filmed in Cleveland (aye, where are my fellow CSU Vikings?!). There are parts of the movie where you can pause it and I can tell you exactly where they are in Cleveland. The summer after they finished, my dad took me on the route of which they filmed the big car chase/fight scene on and you could still see the parts where they made divots for the explosions and other effects.

That scene after Steve's mother's funeral? Shot right next to my dad's work. This is cool stuff people.

But other than that, you get to see a whole new side of Cap, one who is not focused on anyone's orders but his own. You see him fighting for his best friend with true desperation while uncovering his past.

Even when Bucky is beating the living crap out of him, he still manages to tell him that he's "...there 'till the end of the line."

We also get to see a whole new, even more badass, side of Natasha. We learn just how smart she is and how good she is with manipulating people. You get to see more of her fighting style, her quick thinking skills, and her agility.

We cannot fail to mention that we are introduced to Sam! His dedication to a friend that he just met and the heart he still has for Riley proves that he's the most loyal in the Marvel Universe.

All over, this whole movie was just one great big compilation of what should be done with all movies. I cannot get enough of it.

From Your Site Articles