6 Things On My L.A Summer Bucket List

6 Things On My L.A Summer Bucket List

Being far from home has now made me a now a tourist in my own city.

12
6 Things On My L.A Summer Bucket List
Victoria Hamilton

To those of you who know me, I know I am not a true Californian. I was born in New York City and later moved to the west coast around the age of ten. My childhood is split between two opposite coastlines. Whenever I return to one, I cannot stop myself from returning to iconic landmarks and doing all the local activities. Before moving to Villanova last summer, I created a bucket list compiled of the most "touristy" things one can do while in Los Angeles. I am determined to complete the list before the this year's upcoming move-in date, but until then here is my titular L.A summer bucket list.

1. Roadtrip To Malibu

I think the scenic drive down Pacific Coast High Way is what makes the trip through L.A traffic worth it. Being landlocked in Pennsylvania has made me appreciate the ocean a lot more. One of my ways I enjoy staying close to it (literally), is to take a slow drive next to the water. Once you get through Santa Monica, all you have is one road and California cliffside.

2. The Griffith Observatory

Downtown Los Angeles is one of those things I like to admire from afar. Driving up to the Griffith Observatory gives me one of the best views of the skyline and the Hollywood hills. While parking by Griffith park is limited, it still remains one of my favorite spots to enjoy a SoCal sunset over the horizon.

3. L.A Food-Truck Festivals

There is some good food in L.A, you just have to know where to find it. The summertime allows me to drive to some of my favorite food festivals around the county. A few of my picks include 626 Night Market, Venice Food Truck Friday's, and the OC Fair. While my friends and I spend probably spend too much money on food, we get to try some unique cuisine from each market celebration.

4. The Getty

The Getty is split up into two separate museums in Los Angeles. The exhibits are constantly changing, so there is always something new to experience. My favorite characteristic is the outdoor museum gardens mixed with classic sculptures. The Getty museums are also located in the cliffs of L.A, so they are accompanied with some breathtaking views. The Getty is picturesque and it offers an escape from the fast pace of the city.

5. Voodoo Donuts

Voodoo Donuts is only found in Oregon and California. When I say you need to try it, you absolutely have to get a dozen donuts (and maybe another dozen for the road).

6. Sunset Paddle Boarding

Did you even go to California if you didn't go to the beach? Correction: did you even go to California if you didn't go to the beach and surf?? Sunset paddles are the best way to end the day. The water is usually less crowded at dusk, so usually it is just me and my board. Watching the sun disappear behind the ocean is a sight I took for granted. It is my goal on the bucket list to venture out on many sunset paddles before the summer is over.