The Ultimate Chill Playlist For When Rap Or The Radio Is The Opposite Of Your Mood

Sure, an upbeat anthem is great and all but sometimes you just have to breathe and listen to something more powerful.

7
Blaz Photo on Unsplash

Since 2020 started, there has been an INSANE amount of music coming out and changing our lives. Music allows us to imagine what we thought we couldn't, to see the world through other people's eyes, and to have a different outlook on life. When people ask me what I listen to, I say a little bit of everything and then I listen to the same rap and throwback songs on a playlist on my Spotify. But, sometimes I like to turn it down and listen to more relaxing music. In my hours-long "chill" playlist I have compiled a list of songs that aren't necessarily bangers or aux cord worthy, ones that are usually on a sad show's soundtrack, and ones that are earth-shatteringly beautiful. These are my favorites.

"I Found" by Amber Run.

I discovered this song through my best friend, who was looking for a song for her last dance solo of high school. She wanted a song that would make the audience bawl their eyes out. She chose a different song, but I would have chosen this one because of the many different interpretations of it as a whole. The vocals and lyrics alone are beyond beautiful and there is always more than what is on the surface when it comes to songs like this.

"Old Money" by Lana Del Rey.

This is one of my absolute favorites. Lana Del Rey's discography is one that many have trouble explaining because of its multifaceted and beautiful complexity. I love a soft background violin and a powerful vocal and "Old Money" has both. I feel like it reaches people in a way that people can't. This is one of those irresistibly beautiful songs that should be a staple in any sad or chill playlist.

"Carry On" by fun.

This song is definitely a staple for those of us who are going through it. Like, really going through it. Always and especially during this time, please check in on your friends as well as yourself! Even a quick text can make someone's day or even week. I love "Carry On" because while the verses seem sad, the chorus tells us to keep going even when "you're sinking like a stone" and encourages us to put things in the past.

What are some of the chill songs you listen to when you aren't feeling something upbeat or fresh on the charts? I have other songs on my playlist that are happier, but these are the ones that stand out to me when I hit shuffle.