The 5 Types of Friends You NEED to Survive College

They really are a necessity.

438
Aubree Pond

One of the weirdest relationships a person will ever have in life is a friendship. You meet a person, and something about them makes you decide you want to be around them more often, or it will make you realize you never want to see them again. You continue to hang out with those you like and next thing you know, there are hundreds of memories, pictures, and inside jokes that tie you together.

I will forever be thankful to the friends I have made throughout my life. Each day they come and go in their own ways and impact who I am, and even still who I will become. These people are all unique in their own ways, but I have realized there are patterns in the type of friendship I have with them. I firmly believe that every person should have at least one of the following types of friends in their life at all times.

1. The Powerpuff Girls.

There does not need to be more than one, and they don’t even need to be girls.; however, like the characters of hit 90’s show, these people are as close as family. In this relationship, each person is a part of a whole. All parties are genuine and sometimes brutally honest with each other, but it works because everyone involved needs that authenticity. These are the people you can have poolside conversations during spring break after not talking for weeks or people you have a spontaneous Starbucks date with after a rough day of classes. They can swoop in with a kickass comment and save the day from utter disaster at the same time. They are the epitome of sugar, spice, and (most times) everything nice. You do not have to talk every day, but when you do, it is like no time has passed. The best part of this relationship is that you can grow separately without growing apart.

2. The history book.

This relationship is built on a foundation of mutual understanding. An understanding that the relationship has had its ups and downs, it’s been complicated, and at times it seemed like there was not going to be a friendship much longer, but somehow you both manage to find each other again and again. This relationship is deeply rooted in both of you, so much so that it becomes a piece of who you are. These are the friends you FaceTime after a long day just to destress and ground yourself. There is a lot of history between people in this type of friendship, and like a history book, the best decisions were not always made, but at the end of the day there is always a tomorrow to look forward to. Both of you end up finding that tomorrow, and you are able to work through the past to find a better future.

3. Squad.

This one usually encompasses a group of people, but it can range from two to twenty. These people have your back in any situation, no matter how crazy or outrageous. Most of the time, all of the people in squad met by circumstance. Whether a friend of a friend joined, or one of the original members started an umbrella fight that leads to a 2 a.m. walk around Purdue’s campus, these people are the ones you turn to. They’re the ones you study with, the ones you make a feast of mac n’ cheese and ramen noodles with on Sunday nights, the ones you joke with, the ones you fight with, but they will always be the ones you will look back at and know you were meant to meet.

4. The Driver.

This relationship is built solely on care. A care for each other’s wellbeing, a care for each other’s interests, and a care for each other as a person in general. The amount of consideration for the other is always reciprocated, and the personalities in this relationship are precariously balanced to complement each other. There are enough similarities in the way you both think and your interests that you get, but there are just enough differences to keep both of you entertained and on your toes. You understand each other’s moods. You know when they need you, and exactly in what way. Whether that be a shoulder to cry on, a drive through town just to talk, or someone to sit with because you feel like being alone, but you do not want to feel lonely.

5. The Lasso

Most times, this friendship did not start out on the right foot. It was anything but ‘love at first sight’. There was probably some animosity, but in the end, these people roped you in and are never going to let you go. As this friendship develops, you become each other’s confidant, you’re able to share and relate with each other in ways that outsiders will never be able to understand. These are the people that keep you in check, and some days you even return the favor, but there is a sense of loyalty laced through this friendship will allow it to stand the test of time.

None of these friendships are formed by happenstance. Sometimes, it is as simple as sitting next to the right people in a classroom or getting on the wrong bus, but each of the people you find yourself thinking about was meant to be in your life for a reason.