The Truth Behind Being An Only Child

The Truth Behind Being An Only Child

Like everything in life, it has its ups and downs.

185
The Truth Behind Being An Only Child
someecards

Typically, when I tell people that I am an only child, their first response is “so, you’re spoiled, right?” My parents have always provided me with what I have needed and never deprived me of nice things, but that doesn’t mean I get everything and anything I want like people assume. Being an only child can be really great, but there are also times when I wish I had siblings to share life with. Being a little kid, it was nice not having to share all my toys, fight for my parents’ attention, or worry about getting jealous over something someone else got, but now that I’m older, those things don’t matter anymore.

I secretly have always wanted a sibling, but it just wasn’t in God’s plan for me.

Whenever I hear people complain about fights they have with a sister or brother, I can’t help but wonder what it would be like to fight with someone like that. Sure, I argue with my parents on occasion, but who doesn’t? Fights with parents are so different from the everyday fights about the little stuff between siblings.

There are a lot of things that come to mind when I think of things I miss out on as an only child. There are never siblings sporting events to go to, no one to mess around with at the dinner table, no one to make fun of me on a daily basis (but then remind me later that they were only kidding), no one to give me advice on everything and anything, and no one to know my parents as well as I do.

I think that the best part of having a sibling must be that they understand your family the exact same way you do. They understand every happy moment, every joke, every fight, and every flaw. They are right by your side to go through life with you, and no matter how hard you try, there is nothing you can do to no longer be related to them.

I typically think of when I am older, to the real world and beyond. Although I have the best of friends who I know will be in my life for the long haul, there is never a guarantee for anything—except family. I think of what will happen if I move to a different state or even a different country. I think of what my holiday traditions will become when I am in my 30s. I think of my kids and how they won’t have awesome aunts to spoil them or uncles to encourage bad decisions (at least on my side, so naturally I’m going to have to marry a man with, like, 15 siblings, it’s fine). I think of big life events that I will have to endure without an older sister holding my hand or an older brother telling me things will be okay.

However, despite all of these thoughts I have, I remember a very special thing about being an only child that I have not mentioned yet: my parents. All through growing up, they became two of my best friends. It was always the three of us, and I wouldn’t trade the times I have shared with them for the world. I feel that by being an only child, my parents and I have a very special relationship that maybe larger families can’t have. They both know everything about me and what is going on in my life at all times. They have always been on their game when it comes to checking in and knowing what I’m up to. Although this could be a little much at times, it is so comforting knowing that I have the two best cheerleaders in my corner during all times of my life.

Being an only child has also taught me many important lessons very early in life. I learned how to be comfortable alone. I learned how to entertain myself and that I don't always need to be around people to have fun. I don't think a lot of people know how to just be with themselves sometimes. I also learned the value of true friendships. Throughout my entire life, friends have come and gone, but the ones who are still around are the ones who are worth it. They are the ones who have always treated me like the siblings I never had. They are the siblings that God forgot to give me.