The Truth About Mother's Day

The Truth About Mother's Day

For those moms who do it on their own.

65
The Truth About Mother's Day

For many, Mother's Day is a treasured holiday to be spent with parents and children. In a typical household, the father plans activities for the children to do for the mother or buys them gifts to give to her. However, not all families are this cliche kind of "typical" in today's generation. Whether it is because of death, divorce, or some other unforeseen circumstances, many mothers out there have to do it on their own, playing the roles of both mother and father. For the children of these incredible women, and even the mothers themselves, Mother's Day has begun to take on an entirely different meaning.

For the last eight years of my life, I have had to purchase gifts or plan things for my mother all on my own (this was a real struggle in the 7th to 10th grade when I had no job and no license). This is has been just as difficult on other holidays such as Christmas and birthdays, but I have always tried to make Mother's Day special, as it is a day where mothers are celebrated for all that they do. Trust me when I say this. If your mom is a single mother, having to worry about finances, her job, and whether or not you made it home alive from the bar on Saturday night, means that the woman has got a lot on her plate. Although she makes it look effortless, it is not always so. For all that she does for you, on top of worrying about everything and everyone else, your mother should be worshiped. She is practically a Saint.

Personally, I think that I have one awesome mom. Although we may have disagreed at times when I was younger, over the years I have matured and truly seen all of the time and effort that she has religiously put into doing things for me. That is why I have felt so guilty that, for the second year in a row, I haven't been able to see my mother for a single second on Mother's Day. For putting up with me over the years, I wish that I could give her the world, even if it is just for the day. Truly, she deserves an all-expense-paid trip around the world, $25 million, and a new BMW for being able to handle everything that I have thrown at her. Instead, I will (belatedly) give her a card and flowers and she will act, and appreciate it, like I have given her the world.

Although Mother's Day is the "celebrated holiday" when all should show their appreciation for their moms, I believe that you should show and tell your mother that you appreciate her every day. Whatever you choose to give or do for your mother, she will appreciate it in return, no matter how minor it may be. The thing about moms is that they love you unconditionally. They are your backbone, your shoulder to cry on, and your words of encouragement when you are feeling low. Be happy to have your mom, as she sure is happy to have you. On a daily basis, your mom tries to do for you all that she can. I think that we can all agree that she deserves the same love in return.