The Truth About Greek Life

Having been a part of Greek Life for almost a year, I've noticed that there is abundant amount of false impressions about the Greek community that many people believe to be true. A major part of this can be supported by the very few chapters once in a while that become highlighted in the media, shining a negative light on not just their chapter, but Greek Life as a whole. While a couple chapters here and there may have behaved in a way that could support these false impressions of Greek Life, many more chapters are behaving in the exact opposite way as thought.

First, there is a distinction between recognized houses and unrecognized houses. While unrecognized houses may have lost their recognition, a lot of these houses actually choose not to be recognized. As recognized Greek Life does come with a lot qualifications and expectations, some houses simply choose not to become recognized to avoid these qualifications, but that does not by any means suggest that they have done or will do something to prevent them with the ability to ever become recognized. When it comes to recognized Greek houses, they are known to be in good standing with the school, meeting all qualifications and expectations specified, which includes a great deal of involvement throughout the community.

A major false impression about Greek Life is that, other than the social aspect, they have little involvement with their community. Many greek organizations participate in hands-on community service, including things like fundraising for their philanthropy, working with other community organizations and quite a few other means of volunteer work. However, the media plays a big role as to why Greek Life is not known for their participation in things such as these. Being part of the Greek community, we don't participate in the community service and volunteer work we do to display it throughout the media–we participate throughout the community because it's just a good thing to do. Personally, the Greek community I have chosen to be a part of is quite active with our community service, and I would say that we participate in doing this every month. However, the media still chooses to negatively represent those very few Greek organizations that act inappropriately for Greek Life as a whole.

Additionally, there is a major concept of Greek Life many people who are not involved in the Greek community question. The idea of hazing has been around for quite a while. While most houses choose to keep their pledge program confidential to members of this house, it seems as if it could support the idea of Greek houses participating in hazing. Although, in this case I can't completely speak for unrecognized houses, recognized Greek houses are required to submit their pledge program to their school. So basically, Greek Life and the question of hazing is monitored by the school to avoid any inappropriate or unnecessary actions the house could have otherwise, but may have not required members to participate in. Although in this case I can't speak for unrecognized houses completely, unrecognized Greek houses that are trying to obtain a good standing with the school or become recognized are also monitored carefully by the school to make sure they are meeting with anti-hazing qualifications before considering them for recognition.

Although there are a few negative associates with Greek Life every once in a while, the media publicizes it in a way that makes it seem much more harsh than Greek Life really is. Participation throughout Greek Life is much more positive than negative and I think that all people, in Greek Life or not, should consider true facts about Greek Life before making accusations about it.