The True Gems of Louisville

The True Gems of Louisville

For those of you who think Louisville doesn't have much to offer

8
The True Gems of Louisville
Unique Photo

As many of you know from my last article, I was born and raised in Louisville, Kentucky. In my last article I wrote about all of the cliche statements about Louisville that I have become so accustomed to since venturing outside of the state for college. I suggested that my readers and friends ask more creative questions about my home city, but then I realized that a lot of people do not realize how many really awesome things Louisville has. So I am here today to share with all of you why I love my home town so much, and possibly give you some new talking points on the city.

The walking bridge

This Louisville staple has only been open for a couple of years, but it has quickly become one of my favorite attractions. The bridge connects downtown Louisville to downtown Jeffersonville, Indiana, and it is open 24/7 for walkers/runners/meanderers to walk from one end to the other. At night the bridge even lights up with bright multi-colors, leaving you with one of the most beautiful views in the state. Whether you're on a date, a family outing, or just out with friends the walking bridge is super fun and close enough to the waterfront that you can make day out of it.

The Waterfront

Something that I really like about Louisville is the waterfront and all of the fun things you can do there without having to step foot in the extremely unsanitary Ohio river. Whether it's waterfront Wednesday where you can see monthly free concerts right on the riverfront lawn, a place to walk and take in a nice day, or Thunder Over Louisville where you can watch the largest firework show in the country and kick off the Derby season, the waterfront never disappoints.

Fourth Street Live

Even if you're not 21 and cannot take part in what I have heard is a very fun nightlife on fourth street, it is still a must-see for any Louisville visitors. From the summer concerts that the the street closes down to host, to the beautiful aesthetic of the architecture, the street has so much to offer. Fourth street may be overlooked by those under 21, but it is definitely one of the highlights of Louisville.

Food

out of all of the gems that I have mentioned so far, one of the best and most overlooked parts of Louisville is the food. One of my personal favorites - and a must try - is Sweet Surrender. This delicacy is a sweets shop where you can indulge your sweet tooth in any of their cakes, cupcakes, pies and cookies. But that isn't where the amazing food stops. From places like hammerheads to steel city pops to toast on market your breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert needs will never be left unsatisfied.

Museums

The amount and wide variety of museums available in Louisville is actually amazing if you stop and think about it. If you're an artist or just need your yearly art fix, the speed art museum has European, Modern, Contemporary, American and so many other exhibits for all of your creative needs. If art isn't your thing, you can go to the Louisville Slugger museum and watch how the baseball bats are made, or you can go to the Muhammad Ali museum and see exhibitions on Ali's life, accomplishments and values. There is also the Frazier history museum and the Kentucky Science center if art and sports aren't what interest you. There is a museum for everyone in Louisville, and they will never cease to teach and entertain you.

So, there you have it. This is not by any means a complete list of reasons why Louisville is so great, but no longer will Louisville have to be the brunt of cliche jokes and questions. Louisville is a city of so many wonders. Whether it's the food, the views, the music or the museums, there are so many amazing things that Louisville has to offer, and any Louisvillian would much rather talk about those things than how to pronounce it.