The Trials Of Having A Long Name

The Trials Of Having A Long Name

Because people with short names just don't get it.

135
The Trials Of Having A Long Name
The Suite Life Wikia

Anyone who has a long name knows the trials of having a long name well. What qualifies having a long name? If you have to ask, you probably don't have a long name. If you have a long name, you know and you know it well. The following trials will resonate with anyone who's been asked "Why is your name so long?"

Trial 1: "Do you have a nickname?"

I get it, 'Alexandra' is nine letters long - it's a mouth full to say every time. However, if I introduce myself to you with my full name and when you ask if I have a nickname and I tell you no, do not try to force upon me a nickname just because you don't want to say my full name.

Trial 2: Having a million nicknames.

When you're a kid or in school, it seems like nicknames are required if your name is long. Over the years, Alexandra has been shortened down to Allie, Alex, Al, and even Alexis. It was also customary for me to hear my last name be shouted at me in the hallways in high school.

Trial 3: Only being able to find your nickname on custom objects.

You'll never get to Share a Coke with Alexandra unless you want to pay at least $5 for a custom 8oz bottle.

Trial 4: No one can ever say it right.

No, my name is not Alexandria and it certainly is not Alexander. It gets to a point you get tired of explaining that no, that isn't my name, and you'll answer to the butchered version just to save time.

Trial 5: Losing all hope that the Starbucks Barista will ever spell it right.

Where did the Z even come from?! Was the accent over the N even necessary?!

Trial 6: Not having enough room on your papers to write your whole name.

Those name fields are just ridiculously small if you have a long name. Combine that with hand writing that you don't need a microscope to read? Forget it.

Trial 7: Being way too excited when someone spells it right or even asks "what do you want to be called?"

Enough said.