The Toxic Friendship I Should've Said Goodbye To Months Ago

"Surround yourself with people who know your worth"

56
pexels

Toxic and Friend. Two words that are complete opposite, yet ironically fit so well together. Realizing you are in a toxic friendship can be hard. The person you relied on most in life, the one you shared your deepest secrets with, is suddenly completely out of your life. It’s for the best, you tell yourself. They may beat you down and make you feel bad about yourself. Why did I always crawl back to you? It’s the small things that matter. The little remarks. It all adds up in time.

It takes strength and courage to end a toxic friendship. It's hard to cut someone off. Naturally, people like routines. Everyone has their morning routine, their bedtime routine, and we get in certain habits. Listen to the same music. Hang around the same people. People fear change, and when something drastically changes in ones life, we do everything possible to prevent the change from happening. Once a problem is identified in a relationship, whether it be a friendship or more than that, it is time to take action. Taking action can be the hardest part. Cutting someone out of your life for good is difficult...

Taking a step back, ending my toxic friendship was one of the best things I could've done for my mental health. A true friend knows your worst flaws, yet makes you feel like your best self. Analyze the people in your life. Do they lift you up and push you to be the best version of yourself, or are the constantly making you feel bad? It is important to surround yourself with people who are there for you in tough times, and help you live life to the absolute fullest, because honestly, no one lives forever. For the short time we are here, we need to surround ourselves with happiness and positive people who truly care about us.

Ending my toxic friendship has taught me so much. To be more observant, and to surround myself with people who make me truly happy and the best possible version of myself that I can be. So take a good look at your friends. Make sure you associate them with good memories, and they don't cause you heartache or pain. To conclude, I leave you with one of my favorite unknown quotes: "Surround yourself with people who know your worth. You don't need too many people to be happy, just a few real ones who appreciate you for exactly who you are."