The Top 5 Lies You Will Definitely Be Told About Syllabus Week

It is all fun and syllabi.

47
The Odyssey Online

The first week of college aka Syllabus Week or Sylly Week for short.

Syllabus Week (definition brought to you by Urban Dictionary)

1. Party week.

2. The first week of classes, during which all time is wasted by reading through the syllabus.

Come to my party tonight, it's syllabus week and you have no excuse.

Here's the thing: This definition is a very very brutal lie.

Syllabus week is a regular school week with parties and back to school organization thrown in too. Here are the top 5 lies about our beloved Sylly Week.

1. You don't have to go to class

Honestly, the majority of classes have a drop policy, so if you don't make it to class you will automatically get dropped. Even if you are lucky enough to have that kind professor that doesn't drop you from the course, they will take note of you not showing up and will probably peg you as an underachiever.

2. Showing up everywhere aggressively hungover is okay

Okay, so you had a few too many drinks at the Sunday night back to school bash you attended, but when you come to class wearing an oversized T-shirt, sunglasses and last night's makeup it is not the best first day vibe. Your professors remember who shows up smelling like vodka and who takes the time to brush their hair and put a decent outfit on. You only get one chance at a first impression so even if you do go out on that first Sunday night, try to get it together a little bit and impress your teachers on that first day.

3. You won't have homework the first week

This is just a straight up lie. Welcome to college everyone! You might even have homework do before the first day of classes, that's just the way it is. Be prepared to do some serious work in the afternoon if you want to go out at night.

4. You do not have to get your books for the first week

This one is hit and miss. I too have been victim to never ever cracking open a textbook that I spent WAY too much money on. However, like handing out the homework in the first week, reading assignments are super common. I would suggest ordering your books in advance from Amazon and then returning them if it doesn't look like you are going to use it throughout the semester.

5. You have to go to every party all week long

Yes, you are only in college one (and hopefully only for four years). Yes, you have all semester to work hard and earn good grades. Yes, there is usually less homework during Sylly Week. However, we all do need a certain amount of sleep to be functioning humans and drinking every night isn't the best for your health. So, listen to your body, do what you feel like doing, get your work done, and don't fall victim to the "everyone else is doing it" stereotype. Do what works for you and have the best first week back to school you can have!