A Definitive Ranking Of The Top 10 Best Episodes Of 'The Office'

That's what she said...

675
TV Over Mind

A joyous thing it is to find a series unanimously adored by both critics and fans alike. Among the greatest titans in television history, NBC's mega hit "The Office" ranks high as not only one of the best comedies on network television, but one of the greatest shows to ever hit airways in the history of the media. Centered around ignoramus boss Michael Scott and his ensemble of employees working at the fictitious offices of Dunder Mifflin Paper Company in Scranton, Pennsylvania, "The Office" launched its nine-season run in 2005, resulting in one of the most successful and celebrated sitcoms in history.

Narrowing down nearly all 200+ episodes of this masterpiece to a simple top ten list was an impossible challenge, but it was certainly a fun experiment.

For an episode to make the countdown, high ratings, relevance to the overarching plot, fan appreciation, and my own personal enjoyment will be deciding factors. Some of the more underrated might replace the heavy hitters, while some later season episodes might steal the spotlight from earlier seasons.

The following list includes major spoilers.

10. "Scott's Tots"- Season 6, Episode 12

One of the main comedic staples that permeates the "Office" experience is that of awkward, pain-soaked misunderstandings. But out of nine seasons, no episode attempts to even come close to the torturous endurance test known as season 6's "Scott's Tots." After promising a local elementary school class he'd pay their individual college tuition many years ago, Michael Scott realizes his time to pay up has finally come.

With new Dunder Mifflin secretary Erin by his side, Michael returns to the school to break the bad news to an overjoyed community of students, teachers, parents, and news outlets. What follows is a never ending cringe compilation that grows increasingly painful with each passing second. Separating this episode from other "awkward episodes," however, is the distinct emotional depth this episode succeeds in delivering.

Steve Carell absolutely knocks it out of the park in his portrayal of his socially inept, big-hearted Michael Scott. Providing audiences with another example of his heart being much larger than his brain, Michael's pained confession to a room of angry, heart-broken students quickly becomes less of an awkward moment and more of a deeper reflection into the character itself. The final scene with Erin comforting Michael on the car ride home is just the icing on the cake.

9. "The Convict"- Season 3, Episode 9

When an ex-convict is discovered amongst the merging of Dunder Mifflin Scranton and Dunder Mifflin Stamford in season 3, Michael jumps at the opportunity to convince his staff the horrors of prison. Almost every single frame of "The Convict" contains a large portion of some of the series' funniest moments and most quotable dialogue. In fact, this episode is so side-splittingly hilarious, "The Convict" is the only entry on this list picked solely for it's humor.

The astounding amount of laugh-out-loud moments this episode has to offer really sets "The Convict" apart as one of the finest laugh-per-minute comedies television has to offer. The entire "Prison Mike" sequence is one of the funniest things ever committed to film, while a B-plot involving Jim pranking Pam puts the "heart" in "hearty laughs." There isn't much else to say about this episode. It just needs to be seen to be believed.

8. "Stress Relief" Season 5, Episode 14

When Dwight creates an all too realistic fire simulation in the office, Stanley has a stress-induced heart attack, resulting in Michael to stage all different kinds of stress relief exercises to help ease office tension. Premiering after Superbowl XLIII, "Stress Relief" brought in over 20 million viewers globally, making it the most-watched episode of the entire series.

Beginning with one of the most bombastic openings to any episode in the show's run, "Stress Relief" hits the ground running, refusing to let up. Embracing its Superbowl post-entertainment slot, "Stress Relief" uses its mainstream opportunity to go anywhere for comedy: pratfall, pun, running gag, esoteric reference, gross-out humor, and even animal abuse. It fully embraces the highest and lowest forms of comedy to become one of the most diverse and intricately written episodes of the series.

7. "Lecture Circuit: Part 2"- Season 5, Episode 17

When Michael and Pam tour Dunder Mifflin branches on a lecture circuit, Michael's undying love for a former employee named Holly Flax sends him to surprise Holly at her current office in Nashua, New Hampshire. Upon his arrival, Michael is informed that Holly is out of state on a Human Resources retreat. Even more unfortunate, Michael discovers his soulmate has moved on and is currently dating a salesman named A.J.

Just as easily as it can be uproarious, "The Office" can succeed at being an agonizing experience eliciting the most piercing of pain. "Lecture Circuit: Part 2" may not be the first time the series dives deep into emotional turmoil, but it is one of the series' most haunting. As he did in "Scott's Tots" and will do again later on, Steve Carell is absolute dynamite as Michael Scott.

A dialogue-less scene involving a devastated Michael visiting Holly's empty cubicle ranks as one of the show's most powerful sequences, while Pam's support for Michael in the diner scene only further strengthens their relationship--one of the most underrated relationships of "The Office."

6. "Beach Games" Season 3, Episode 22

In the penultimate episode of season 3, Michael takes the office out for a day of games at the beach. What the office doesn't know, however, is Michael's purpose for these games--choosing the right candidate for his replacement as manager of Dunder Mifflin Scranton.

A subtle sense of tension grows within this episode as not all of its answers are revealed right away. The aura of mystery surrounding potential replacements, the future of the company, and even the games themselves makes this episode one of the most unpredictable ones to watch. But all of this pales in significance to Pam's speech in the final scene.

After a long, sad season for her, Pam finally earns her moment to shine in a sequence executed absolutely stunningly. Everything about "Beach Games" is a fun watch, but it's that unpredictable nature of outbursts and mystery that turns this typical story into a fairly important chapter in the Dunder Mifflin saga.

5. "Broke"- Season 5, Episode 25

A countdown of the best episodes of "The Office" could never be complete without an excerpt from what is arguably the show's finest story arc--the rise of The Michael Scott Paper Company. As previously stated, "The Office" shines the brightest through its characters, and what better example can be found than "Broke" from season 5?

When Dunder Mifflin is targeted by Michael's start-up The Michael Scott Paper Company, CEO David Wallace and the villainous Charles Minor sit down with Michael to settle their differences and ease rivaling tensions. There isn't a lot of humor to be found in "Broke," and that's due to the much more pressing issues at hand. Michael, Pam, and Ryan of The Michael Scott Paper Company going head to head with the company that created them, as well as the detestable Charles Minor makes for an emotionally satisfying battle of the minds, whereas the finale to this episode results in one of the most immensely heartwarming moments the series ever delivers.

There's honestly so much to discuss regarding this point in the series, just do yourself a favor and watch the entire arc. It's optimistic, devastating, and hilarious all before turning into a triumphant source of inspiration guaranteed to warm the hearts of even the most cynical.

4. "Threat Level Midnight" - Season 7, Episode 17

If "The Convict" had a rival for funniest episode of "The Office," "Threat Level Midnight" from season 7 is a strong contender. After nearly a decade of production, Michael's homemade movie Threat Level Midnight is ready to premiere at the office. But just like the employees at Dunder Mifflin, die-hard fans of the series have been anxiously awaiting a full Threat Level Midnight film ever since its first tease way back in season 2.

Michael's continuous references to his film sparked a massive outcry for a legitimate cinematic treatment of the adventures of Michael Scarn and his cyborg butler Samuel L. Chang. "Threat Level Midnight" is the final product of what fans had been eagerly awaiting for years, while also doubling as a reunion of past "Office" cast members unfortunate enough to appear in Michael's film.

Ironically using every action movie stereotype and cliche, "Threat Level Midnight" works as both perfect satire and a loving tribute to the days of creating home movies in your own backyard. The fact that it also succeeds at fulfilling high fan expectations only furthers its brilliance.

3. "Casino Night"- Season 2, Episode 22

In a list of television's greatest romances, the treacherous, complicated road Jim and Pam travel together on stands as one of the all-time greats. John Krasinski and Jenna Fischer worked tirelessly to create a chemistry that will be remembered by generations of audiences in an episode destined to become a piece of television history.

"Casino Night" tells the tale of Michael hosting a casino night in the warehouse for charity. While that main A-plot line does work well enough on its own, it's the Jim and Pam B-plot that unanimously solidifies "Casino Night" as one of the series' all-time best. After being considered for a promotion out of state, Jim puts it all on the line for one final shot at the girl he loves.

Concluding with a tremendously frustrating cliffhanger, "Casino Night" proves how far "The Office" is capable of going to deliver an emotionally draining experience no amount of laughter can cure. Pam's answer isn't revealed until the following season, allowing for a refreshing touch of suspense "The Office" had not yet encountered. "Casino Night" is uncharted territory for the series, and a chilling sneak peek at how cruel "The Office" can become.

2. "Goodbye, Michael"- Season 7, Episode 22

In one of the most celebrated character farewells of any television show period, "Goodbye, Michael" is a glorious reminder that the characters are what make "The Office" so special. As Michael faces his new life with fiancée Holly in Colorado, he alerts his staff of tomorrow's departure, giving him ample opportunity to bestow one final gift with each of his individual staff members.What viewers don't discover until later is Michael's lie--his flight leaves tonight to allow for a much less painful goodbye. Right from the get-go, "Goodbye, Michael" shows its hand early by providing a brief glimpse into how emotionally exhausting this goodbye will be. Michael tossing out the World's Best Boss mug he purchased for himself, to provide space for the World's Best Boss trophy the staff purchased for him is the first real sense of finality of the episode--that same sense of finality that will continue to grow with each passing moment. But ignoring what's on the surface, some of the most subtle storytelling is happening through time parallels and unspoken character arcs.While the main A-plot line has the once loud, arrogant, attention-seeking Michael Scott quietly wanting his own personal goodbye, the B-plot line shows Andy and acting manager Deangelo on a disastrous sales call reminiscent of the same sales call Michael took Andy on in season 3. Writer/Director of this episode Greg Daniels went above and beyond to create one of the finest sendoffs to one of television's most iconic characters both subtly and obviously. It's the finale Michael Scott deserves and it's the episode that us fans wanted. "Goodbye, Michael" has the distinct impression of being both devastating and hopeful simultaneously, resulting in one of the best episodes the series ever offered.

1. "The Dundies"- Season 2, Episode 1

There is no single more important episode to the "The Office" than the season 2 opener titled "The Dundies." With the first season mimicking the cynical, dry spirit of the original U.K. predecessor, "The Dundies" stands out as the first authentic "Office" episode, evoking the lovable spirit the show will continue to perfect.

"The Dundies" centers around Michael's annual tradition of celebrating his employees with an after hours award show called The Dundies. While a perfectly enjoyable and funny episode in its own right, its spot at number 1 results from its distinct personality. This is the first time we see the office coming together as a family. This is the first time we see the story taking place outside the Dunder Mifflin office facilities. This is the first time music is played under scenes for more emotional effect.

This is the first time the will-they-won't-they of Jim and Pam makes its presence officially known. "The Dundies" is when "The Office" stopped emulating its original counterpart and began its climb to television stardom. Without "The Dundies," it truly is difficult to comprehend the show we could have got. It's difficult to imagine a world without "The Office" and we have "The Dundies" to thank for that.