The Too Much Gene

The Too Much Gene

Why you should let yourself be "too much".

5144
The Too Much Gene
Sarah Doty

I have always had a problem with the “too much” gene. I first heard the term in a Youtube video by Jenna Marbles where she discusses her bad habits and explains that the “too much” gene is not the want for more belongings, but the idea that her brain does not tell her when she is making something too big or spending too much time on a simple project. As soon as I saw this video, I immediately had a name for something I have done my entire life.

It began as I watched my mother, who in my childhood was constantly in charge of projects and parties. She always seemed to go above and beyond the minimum, and spent long days and late nights working on something that seemed absolutely insignificant (like a full archeological sand pit to go along with the church’s bible school theme, complete with fake dinosaur bones and real shovels). I grew up watching my mom be too much, and it very quickly became a part of my own personality.

First, I began to do too much in grade school with class projects. I would always spend hours painting, gluing, and glittering whatever diorama that was due the next day (because my too much gene does not allow for planning ahead, all projects were done the night before). I would then come to school and watch a kid slap together a project for the same class in homeroom and receive the exact same participation grade just for turning something in. Luckily my family was artistically inclined, and our family’s art supply closet was my safe haven.

It then began to spread to my social interactions. I was too loud, I laughed too much and my teachers would get mad at me for disrupting class. Just like any girl who went through the horrors of middle school, I began to try to change myself to be more like my friends. I soon began to try to tone down my “too much” gene to a point where it only sprang forth on special occasions.

Slowly but surely throughout High School and even now in college I have let myself be “too much”. It has been a long journey but I quickly realized that being too much makes me unique and there are people who appreciate my ability to completely cover myself in glitter for a spring party or do five separate extra credit opportunities for a class the day before they are due.

So to all of you out there that feel like you’re too much for others, or even those who have closeted their “too much” gene out of fear of being different, let yourself be that person who is excessive. Be that girl at the swap with the unreasonably complex outfit. Go out of your way to be different in a completely crazy way that others will not understand.

If you feel like your personality is too exaggerated, you’re too loud, or that what you are doing is not worth the amount of time you’re putting forth, just know that there are others out there that are just like you. These people will appreciate the products of your wild ideas. Even if you do not feel the need to be too much just try it out. At the end of the day anyone can be average, but only a select number of people can claim the title that they are TOO MUCH.