The Time When I Knew No One

The Time When I Knew No One

Sometimes you have to know nobody in order to know who you are.

11
The Time When I Knew No One
Destiny Lewis

One thing that I think every young adult should do if they have the chance is to put themselves in some situation where they don't know anybody, should it be a camp, college, internship, or anything of the sort. I've discovered that even though it may be extremely intimidating, it is also greatly influential in one's personal development. There are great lessons learned when one surrounds themselves with people they have never met.

I've never been considered outgoing or extroverted, especially when I was younger, but looking back I realize that I was put in these situations multiple times over the years. Moving from California to Tennessee in fourth grade then changing schools just the next year-- I had experienced not knowing anybody, but it didn't really impact me until it happened again later.

Throughout middle and high school, I always had a small group of friends and at least one person that I would stick to wherever I was. Even at church, it didn't matter who else was there with me, as long as I had at least one friend that I knew. Something about being alone really scared me. I hated when I had a class that none of my friends were in or when I had to go somewhere by myself; if I didn't know anybody, I was withdrawn. Loneliness was probably one of my worst fears.

Then last summer I decided to do something crazy and work at a camp three hours away from home where I knew absolutely no one. I wouldn't be home for an entire month, and I would only get to talk to friends and family on the weekends. Now for some people that might sound like nothing, but for me it was on the verge of terrifying. For a person that doesn't enjoy going out of her way to meet new people, this was going to be a big step.

The moment I got to the camp my parents and I got someone to show us where to put my things, and, upon opening the door, I was greeted with smiles and hugs from people that I had messaged once on Facebook before arriving. That was the moment I knew it would be okay. I ended up making a whole group of new friends, and the amazing part was that I knew it was me that they liked.

Sometimes when I hung out with other people from back home, there was a fear that they just liked me because they liked my other friends. It's a silly thing to be concerned about, because of course it wasn't true, but it definitely crossed my mind a few times. When I got close to people at camp, I knew that people wanted to be my friends because they liked me and enjoyed spending time with me. It made me realize that I didn't have to worry about who other people thought I was, because people would like me for just being me.

Also, when you start a job or college or other experience with people that you already know, a bit of your background comes with you. Presupposed ideas and assumptions are handed down from the people that know you to the people that don't yet; you feel like you have to continue being the person that you used to be, even if you've changed. The great thing about being surrounded by people that don't know you is that you can be anything you want to be. If you used to be the shy person that never spoke, you can push yourself outside of your box; no one will question you, because they wouldn't know any differently. You leave your past behind you and develop your current self into whatever you want it to be.

After my experience at camp, starting college was so much easier. I knew a few people that went to my school, but no one that I was really close to was coming with me. My roommate and I had barely even spoken much before move-in day. At first, there was still the slight fear of "what if nobody likes me," but it soon dissipated when I met the girls I would be living with. I was once again greeted with smiles, and I knew it would all be okay.

Since then, meeting people is much easier, I have more friends than I could ever ask for, and I know that they like me for exactly who I am. I can now put myself in other situations where I don't know everybody, and it's not nearly as nerve-wracking. I am so thankful for the experience that changed my outlook not only on myself, but also on others. I've learned that people are more accepting than you think and life becomes easier when you're not afraid to be yourself.