3 Questions All Communications Students Hate Answering

“So what exactly do you want to do with that?”

8
buzzfed.com

Communications majors have a bad reputation. Just go on Google and type in “Communications majors are…” and find out for yourself what people associate us with. We’re not the biochemical engineers or neurosurgeons, and we certainly aren’t the history buffs. We’re knocked for having lame math skills (because we only need an entry level math course to complete our requirement) and our “easy” course load. It's assumed that we didn’t know what we wanted to pursue in college and going undecided wasn’t an option.

I’m here to take a stand against all anti-Comm majors out there. Here are the top three questions we hate answering because of you.

1. What’s your major again?

I feel the need to give this long exaggerated response like, “Well, technically I’m a Communications major, but my concentration is journalism and I’m super interested in photography so I’m picking up a media studies minor and…” when people ask this question. I'd rather explain my major than have to look at the confusion on someone's face when I respond with a simple “Liberal Arts.”

2. So what exactly do you want to do with that?

College is all about finding out what you want to do, and with which specific degree. Statistically speaking, about 80 percent of students in the United States end up changing their major at least once, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. On average, college students change their major at least three times over the course of their college career. Do I know what I want to do specifically? Not at all -- but I have a general idea, otherwise I wouldn’t be pursuing the track I’m on.

3. Don’t you think you should have a backup plan?

No, no, no. I am well aware that I have a vague degree. Yes, I am well aware that it’ll be hard finding a job -- it’s hard for every college graduate. I know I will not be looking at the same salary options as the next pre-med student. However, I should not have to feel put down because I’m not pursuing the cliché business administration, criminal justice or early childhood education. Telling me that I’m studying something I don’t “necessarily need a degree for” will only make me want to slit your throat with my BA.

The truth of the matter, which everyone seems to forget, is that Communications students are the masterminds behind our social media-run society. We are multi-skilled, creative and cultured. We make a difference in the world one medium at a time. So next time you’re using Facebook or watching something on TV or scrolling through Odyssey, make sure to thank Communications alumni everywhere. And never question their abilities, because they’re the sorcerers behind the curtain.