The Thank You Letter My Best Friend Deserves

You are one of the reasons I can get up every day and push through whatever life throws at me.

5048
Jen DeSanctis

Sometimes I feel like telling you I love you and I appreciate you isn't enough. You are the best friend I have had, and will ever have. I've said this to people before, but I know for a fact this time that nothing in the world will ever destroy our friendship. We have had one fight and it was about feeling distanced from each other. Since then, we don't let anything stupid, little, or even big, come between us. You're my best friend; therefore, you know that my way of expressing my feelings is through writing. This one is for you.

Thank you for ALWAYS being there for me.

No matter what I am going through, you are always there for me. Thank you for being there for me through the little things. Even for something as simple as having an anxiety attack, you call me and talk to me through it, and make sure I'm okay. When I'm angry and need to vent, you listen and give me advice. Thank you for being there for me through the huge things. The day my dad passed away and I texted you, you drove like a maniac out of work, and came over to be there for me. You didn't leave my side for months. You came to the funeral and were there for me through the entire grieving process, which is still continuous, and you're still here supporting me though it every day. I remember the viewing day, just as it was over and I was getting my coat to leave, I saw you talking to my dad by yourself. I don't know what you said but it made me burst into tears. That was the moment where I felt like you proved you were my best friend. You skipped classes to be there for me. You got behind in school like I did, and you didn't care at all because I am a priority to you. With that being said...

Thank you for making me a priority.

Whenever I need you, you drop what you're doing. Thank you for making time for me even though you're the busiest person our age. That quote people always say, "if someone wants to see you they'll make time for you" is definitely true and you've shown me that. Thank you for being just a phone call away. Thank you for inviting me to go do things. Thank you for inviting yourself over when you know I need someone. Thank you for making me apart of your family and for being apart of mine.

Thank you for reminding me of my worth at my lowest moments.

There have been a lot of low moments for me during the duration of our friendship the past few years. Thank you for giving me pep talks and reminding me that I am important to people. Thank you for reminding me that the opinion of others does not define who I am. Thank you for reminding me that everyone makes mistakes and that they don't define you. How you "bounce back" from them is what defines you. Thank you for reminding me that no matter what happens in life that I have an impact on people and the world would be a different place without me in it. Thank you for seeing the good in me and reminding me of it constantly.

Thank you for making me laugh.

You are the funniest person I know. Thank you for making my stomach hurt from laughing so hard. You bring so much light and happiness to my life. Most moments I can think of where I was on the floor laughing so hard was with you. Your jokes and your funny comments always make my day. However, you don't have to be making jokes to make me laugh. You just genuinely make me a much happier person when I'm around you by being yourself. You are such a great person with so many amazing qualities.

Thank you for dealing with the guys I've dated and being there for the break-ups.

Every person I've dated you've been around. You always want to make sure I'm being treated well. You've seen a lot of things happen that you weren't happy about, but you still never told me what to do. You were just there for me and supported every move I've made. Thank you for giving them a chance and trying to be their friend as well. Your opinion matters to me most. Thank you for being there when sh*t hits the fan. You are always an active part in my relationships. You are always involved even when you shouldn't be. When I got left at our prom, who was affected and dealt with it? You. You didn't even care that your night was also affected, you just cared about how that night was ruined for me. You are so selfless. Thank you for being there for the break-ups. Thank you for listening to me vent for hours and hours about the same repetitive stuff. Thank you for going out with me to try and make me feel better. Thank you for sleeping over and staying with me when I'm hurting. There aren't enough thank you's I could put in this section.

Thank you for being honest with me.

Thank you for being honest and trustworthy. You are the one person I can fully trust and know what I say isn't going to be repeated. Thank you for being honest with me and telling me when you aren't happy with my actions and for always telling me straight up how you feel about certain people or situations. I know everything you say has the intention of being what is best for me.

Thank you for dealing with all of my moods.

You've been around me when I'm severely depressed, anxious, angry, irritable, and feeling hopeless. You deal with every single emotion or mood I have. Thank you for not only dealing with them but for helping me through them. You are so understanding.

Thank you for accepting me.

I've done some crazy things and I've done some stupid things, but thank you for always accepting me no matter what. You never judge me, you just support me and accept me for everything.

Thank you for being an "idiot" with me.

Thank you for making so many amazing memories with me. Thank you for all of our shenanigans. I have the most fun with you. I can think about things we've done together and start hysterically laughing. We're both idiots, but we're idiots together. I am so thankful for all the time I've had with you and for all of the time to come.

Thank you for being my support system.

No matter what happens in my life, I know you'll always be there to support me through it. Thank you for getting me through high school and continuing through college. Thank you for forcing me to study when I'm miserable and don't want to get off my couch. Thank you for forcing food down my throat when I'm depressed and don't want to eat. Thank you for supporting me through all of my health problems, through school, and for supporting anything I want to do, like these Odyssey articles. You're the first person to read them before they get published. Thank you for being my shoulder to cry on and for showing me that I can push through anything and succeed. Thank you for telling me you're proud of me and that I am strong.

Thank you for being my best friend.

There will never be another "Morgan" in my life. I know you have some very low and difficult moments in your own life too, but I hope you know that my life would not be the same without you in it. You are one of the reasons I can get up every day and push through whatever life throws at me. You are so important and special to me and I appreciate you more than I could ever say. This is an attempt to put it into words. I love you and thank you.