The Target Bathroom Crisis

The Target Bathroom Crisis

If it bothers you that much you can just hold it in 'til you get home

164
The Target Bathroom Crisis
blisstree.com

Many have heard about Target’s recent decision to allow both its employees and customers use the bathroom of which gender they identify as and as one would expect with such a controversial decision, the world is divided. The policy was put in place to help protect members of the LGBTQ community, specifically the T that stands for Transgender. Many say that this is the progression of equal rights for all people in America, while others declare this is an act of stupidity and have pledged to never shop at Target again. I personally do not see the problem with letting people use the restroom that they feel most comfortable using, but let’s see both sides to this issue.

Imagine you walk into a business and needed to use the restroom. Now imagine you were also anatomically male, but you know that when you were born there was just a screw up in your lower regions and you were given the wrong parts. You dress like a female and you act like a female and most importantly you are a female, but you aren’t allowed to use the women’s restroom. Instead you were forced into the men’s restroom. Now imagine how uncomfortable it would be to walk past a bunch of men who are probably very confused, only to be confronted by one man who decides that you’re “disgusting” and needs to teach you “how to be a man.” The problem is you aren’t a man. This is the kind of situation transgender people face constantly because people hate the things they cannot understand. Transgender people are not confused, in fact, they know exactly who they are. Transgender people just want to use the restroom they feel comfortable and safe using. This policy gives transgender people safety when they use public restrooms. The policy is not to allow men access to women’s restrooms, but to allow male-to-female transgender people access to women’s restrooms and female-to-male transgender people access to male restrooms. This also can be beneficial to gender fluid people who do not identify with either gender. The policy is simply to allow everyone access to where they feel most comfortable using the restroom.

People against the policy cite their main issue as the policy makes public bathrooms dangerous for women and children. Because apparently letting people use the restroom for which they identify with is giving attackers “easy access” to women and children. But think about this, since when has the sign on the door ever prevented people from being attacked in restrooms by anyone? It hasn’t. If someone was going to attack anyone in the restroom they aren’t going to be stopped by a sign saying that only this gender can enter. Just like a gun free sign isn’t going to stop a shooter from firing their weapon in a gun-free zone. The people who are against the policy aren’t trying to protect women and children. What they are trying to do is prevent what they hate and don’t understand from becoming acceptable in our society.

Transgender people live a much more difficult life than most people. When you live in a world where it seems everyone is against you it makes trying to be yourself one of the most difficult tasks anyone can do. 49% of transgender people have attempted suicide and 1 of 12 transgender people will be murdered for being trans. There is a transphobia plaguing our country. It is more dangerous for transgender people to use the restroom that they don’t identify with than getting trans people use the bathroom of their choice. People should just let other people pee in peace.

If an f to m transgender person uses the same bathroom as me I don’t plan on making a big deal out of it because it’s not my business where they pee, but if it bothers you that much you can just hold it until you get home I guess.