The SVU Effect

The SVU Effect

Don't even think about getting up unless it's a commercial.

18
The SVU Effect

It’s a cloudy, gray afternoon as you kick back on the couch after a long day. Indifferently, you reach for the remote and ride the cable waves for something worth your time as you investigate the cause of your phone buzzing. As you pass by the USA channel, you hear it.

The theme music beings, "Bong-bong, dun dun dun dun duuuuuun duuuuuuuuun."

You perk up. The iconic theme chimes into your data and activates data receptors in your brain, triggering a familiar response.

You’ve heard that iconic theme before. Everyone has. Instinctively, your phone goes into your lap; Instagram can wait, this is important.

As soon as you watch the first five seconds, you’re hooked; there's no going back. If you have to get up to do something, it had better happen during the commercials because there’s no way that you’re getting up and missing even a second of the plot.

Because that one second you miss could be a game changer. Someone could die. A body could be found. The DNA could come back. Someone could test positive for something. The plot can make an immediate hairpin left turn and change the outcome entirely.

You can’t change the channel. You can’t get up out of your seat. The stakes are too high. See you in an hour.