The Struggles of Not Having a Car in College

"Can you give me a ride?"

Being in college and not having a car is honestly the worst. Having to rely on people constantly and remind yourself that "you're a real adult" every time you have to ask the dreaded "can you give me a ride" question is nothing you are a stranger to. Trust me, those of us without cars don't want to ask you for a ride just as much as you don't want to be asked. So if that's you (which it probably is if you have a working vehicle) than I just want to thank you in advance.

Needing to figure out how to get to places develops a form of craftiness that you would otherwise never need. I mean, with a car things like the grocery store, restaurants and spontaneous adventures to wherever you want to go that off-campus are only a drive away. Without a car though, it becomes a waiting game to see which friend you can tag along with next—or routing the closest walk to the nearest Walmart. I have gotten to the point in the past of just ordering things I need ahead of time online, so that I don't have to ask anyone else for another favor.

Is there is an event, hangout or party happening off-campus that you want to go to? Well, you better hope that someone else wants to go to and is willing to pick you up or else you will likely be spending the night in. While you probably would be going to these things with other people anyways, and it's always more fun arriving to places with other people, it does become a little bit of a nuisance when you aren't able to spend the night according to your own time. When those people are ready to go home, you also have been ready, and if they want to stay out until the sun rises...that also is out of your hands regardless of how tired you may feel. This isn't always a huge problem, but that doesn't mean it doesn't ever happen.

Not having a car can be frustrating for those of us who are trying to navigate the adult world, while still needing their mom to pick them up from work. The absence of independence and the ability to go where you want, when you want can make campus feel a little bit like a jail cell, especially if no one wants to go where you want to, or if you just want to be alone. So yes, I'm counting down the seconds until I have my very own car and to be able to finally live like a real adult (or at least what I think one is). Until then, thank you everyone for continuing to give me rides. You're the best.