The Stages of a Six-Hour Drive Home

The Stages of a Six-Hour Drive Home

Going insane in a car for six hours is totally worth it.

988
The Stages of a Six-Hour Drive Home
Pixels

So far in my college experience, I have driven home twice. Both times I've been alone. In a few days I will be driving home for Thanksgiving Break. While it gives me a lot of time to think and clear my mind about any anxieties, the 314 miles from Vermont to New Jersey are long and grueling. I feel like sometimes my car and I feel the same wear and tear from the dirt roads and highways. On one certain morning, I left for New Jersey at 5:00 a.m. This is my experience.

1. Starting off slow.

The start of a long solo trip is always the worst. Groggy from waking up early in the morning, the car just seems to lag. While you have your trusty travel coffee mug in hand, it seems that even your go-to cannot wake you up. It seems that every gas station you pass is a shining light that allows you to refill the cup of coffee-flavored golden sunshine. Pushing through the lag seems like a task more suited for superman instead of a lonely solo driver. Yet, the journey has only begun and there is no stopping now.

2. Hope.

The feeling of hope kicks in once you realize that the first hour of driving has gone by. Maybe this time the drive won’t be so bad, you try to convince yourself. You may only be a sixth of the way into the drive, but at least it is better than where you started. It is a small win, but it is a win all the same.

3. Defeat.

But wait, how has it only been an hour? You swore that you already passed the exit that meant you were half way. Yet here you are, still 100 miles left on the same highway. Still five hours left to go. So close, yet so far away. This car ride has been a roller coaster of emotions and is not even halfway over.

4. Good jams.

Then, a saving grace from heaven decides to bless you with the sound of sweet, sweet jams. The music fills the car with a suddenly very optimistic mood. No dance is too wild and no voice is too loud when there is no one in the car with you. While the cars passing by may give a few strange glances, there's a very low likelihood that they will see you again. So dance away, and do not fear the next four hours.

5. Should I just have stayed at college?

Regrettably, at some point this question will arise. It is exciting to be on the way home and eat something other than bland cafeteria food, but with the drive being so long it is questionable if it is truly worth it. At this point, though, it would be just as long to turn around as it would to continue home, so you push on down the never-ending highway.

6. So close, yet so far...

Somehow, you are over halfway there. While it is so satisfying to know the longest part is over, it is just as heartbreaking to know you have two very long hours left. While trying to remain positive, you try to think about how far you've come; however the fact that you still have 120 miles left is just a gnat nagging your ear.

7. Okay, this has to be over.

The stress starts to kick in. Events start to blur and you could have sworn you passed that very same mile marker five miles back. Are you even making any progress?

8. Familiar sights.

And then there it is. The one store you know, the one park you and your friends hung out at everyday after school. At most there is only 20 minutes left to the drive. Finally, the drive is almost over. Instead of hours left to the drive, there is only minutes. The desire to stop at every familiar place for nostalgia is only outweighed by the desire to not have to drive anymore.

8. Home.

Finally the drive is over. The drive is worth it to see friends and family that haven't been seen in two months. Now it is time to pass out and not wake up for twice the amount of time it took to drive home.