The Stages Of A Road Trip

The Stages Of A Road Trip

Your thoughts can be easily portrayed in words.

25
The Stages Of A Road Trip
road trip

If anyone has known me strictly in the year 2016, then maybe you would know that I have driven to Florida and back, Taos, New Mexico and back, Lubbock, Texas and Back, and Austin and back four different times. That may seem like many road trips for my 2015 Nissan Versa to handle. Yet, Drizzy (my car) has been there through them all. I have learned many things from my seven road trips this year, though. I have mainly learned that I hate to travel, yet I have also learned the importance of taking a step back every now and then to enjoy the scenery. So, in honor of my fourth trip to Austin this year (the trip which I am currently partaking in), I have decided to share with you the many thoughts and feelings I have during a road trip.

1. Yay! It's the start.

During this stage, I usually go over so many questions that run through my mind. Did I use the bathroom before I go? What music should I listen to? How long until my final destination? Do I have enough gas in my tank? The answers to these questions that I think of in the first few minutes are typically 'yes' which is a great way to start off a road trip.

2. Okay, it's been thirty minutes. Are we there yet?

If you are as impatient as I am, then you know the struggle. I think, in reality, that thirty minutes of driving is the perfect amount. If anything, I would love having to drive much less. Can teleporting be invented yet, please?

3. Halfway Through: Still going strong.

Okay, the halfway mark isn't too bad, right? It's actually a pretty good thing. It would basically be worthless to turn around at this point considering all of the effort I have already put in!

4. Almost there.

Have you ever looked at your GPS and realized you have thirty minutes left until you reach your destination? It is the WORST feeling. Like forget the past three-four hours. These last few minutes are absolute miserable. Please, just let me get there.

5. I'm here!

This is a great feeling. It is so nice to finally get where you are going and to feel at least slightly 'home.' No, it is not where you actually live but you can stop to take a breather. You are no longer in the middle of nowhere. You know longer have a few hours of travel time left. You are at peace with your mind and body (especially because road trips can leave you tense) for once.

So that is my basic understanding of what it is like traveling by road from my personal experience. The travel itself is fairly difficult but arriving at the destination is the absolute best feeling in the world. Nothing compares to the feeling when you step out of your car and get to walk around and stay on the ground where you are walking. I definitely recommend road trips to those who have not taken one but if you have, keep your spirits up because your destination is not as far off as you think.