The 7 Emotional Stages Of Packing

The 7 Emotional Stages Of Packing

Packing is a necessary evil we all must conquer, but not without going through the usual stages of packing everything up.

4
Huffington Post

So I'm leaving for study abroad soon and as exciting as that is that just means that I have to get through a lot of boring but necessary chores before I actually get there. One of those things is one of the most dreaded chores in the entire world, probably: packing.

I hate packing with everything in me. I always have and I always will. I hate that there is so much that I use in a day that I need to pack and I hate the thought of forgetting something really important. I also just find myself becoming extremely anxious whenever I pack because I always have that nagging feeling that I am under packing or overpacking. It's a struggle, to say the least.

Of course, I go through quite a series of stages while packing that I have grown extremely accustomed to as my departure is coming down to the wire and my hometown room is becoming emptier.

1. Denial

I denied the fact that I had to start packing for, I kid you not, weeks. I just truly dread the very thought of packing so actually doing it would make me want to jump out of window. So, I continued to deny that it was necessary and pretended that I could wait longer before packing.

2. Making lists

So. Many. Lists. I have literally so many lists floating around my room that it is ridiculous. And I still feel like I am missing everything I need.

3. Frustration

Going over everything that I need only to discover that there is something else that I forgot. Which leads to me wondering what else I'm forgetting which in turn leads to me wanting to just nap for forever instead of angrily stare at my empty suitcase.

4. Anxiety

Becoming so anxious that I literally just try to ignore that I need to pack which entails me binge watching "Law & Order: SVU" or sitting on my computer or phone for hours until I immediately regret all the time that I spent not packing. Resulting in more anxiety.

5. Denial (again)

I don't need to pack. That's just not happening. Am I even leaving? Who knows.

6. Despair

There's no way that I'm going to be able to pack everything that I need. There's too much stuff. I own too many things. Why do I have all of this stuff? I'm just not going to pack anymore. I just won't go.

7. Acceptance

I have yet to reach this stage so I'm hoping that this actually happens next. It better because I have a flight to catch, whether I'm packed or not. I'll keep ya'll updated on whether that last stage is a real thing or if I'm just trying to make myself feel better.

Basically, if you can, avoid packing at all costs. It is never fun. But it's a necessary evil that must be done in order to have the experiences of a lifetime.

Happy packing, ya'll!