The Sour Taste of Doubt

The Sour Taste of Doubt

There it was again… that sour taste of doubt. I got it when I first bought my camera two years ago in December of 2018. The thoughts of, "I can't do this", "Who will teach me how to use this thing", and "I should give up" lurked ever so presently into the back of my mind. Luckily, I didn't let that doubt overwhelm me,

13
The Sour Taste of Doubt

I let it push me.

I started my journey of photography with about zero prior knowledge about the art form. Of course, I had taken photos with my phone and edited them to what I thought looked good at the time, which usually was an overexposed, saturated picture of some grass. I honestly enjoy looking back at those pictures and see the development that has taken place. It pushes me forward more. Then, it was just about creating what I like, the process is what I loved. Often now I find myself focusing on the end result or the product, and because of that, I lost my passion for the process for some time.

That's where the doubt creeps in

When I find myself focusing on the end product instead of focusing on the process of creating the thing I am creating, doubt about my own ability begins to creep in. In tail with doubt, comparison, envy, jealousy, and a host of other things creep in right behind it. It isn't just because I think my art is bad, but really it is because other creators are producing incredible art that I can't even compare too. Luckily there's an easy explanation for this feeling. The Gap is a definition used by many creatives to describe why they believe their own art sucks in comparison to others. Basically what the gap is a distinct difference between a creative's tastes in art in comparison to their skill over time. Taste goes up rapidly as one learns the trade they are in more and more. They begin to recognize the intricacies that go into some of the incredible pieces that are produced by big-time artists. But sadly, skill is slower than taste. As taste takes a rapid incline, skill takes a more tame upward curve. So over a course of time, a creator's taste goes above their skill. Thus creating the gap. This is where a lot of doubt can creep in and try to make them quit.

DON'T QUIT!!!

Creatives must understand that behind any work of art is a whole lot of time and effort dedicated to that craft. Professional artists have spent years and years learning to do that one beautiful art piece on Instagram. So keep going and creating, I promise you it will get better. It takes time and work and energy, but you will make those awesome things soon! Let's take a minute and appreciate our art today. Go look at the first thing you ever made, and look at what you have made now. See the progress, and trust that by this time next year you will know more and make better art than you did the year before. Keep going, you got this!