I'm The Sister That Moonlights As A Mom

I'm The Sister That Moonlights As A Mom

I know that, now, you don't appreciate the extra mom, but I also know that one day you will thank me.
44

I can remember back to when you were just a tiny little baby. I'm sure I got on everyone's nerves when I'd immediately ask if I could have my baby sister back within a minute of anyone else getting to hold you. But, I claimed you as my own the minute I laid eyes on you. And I still do to this day.

I took over the role of your mother back before you were old enough to oppose. I remember feeding you and putting you down to sleep, all of which a mother does for her baby. I remember laying beside you as we'd watch Finding Nemo for the umpteenth time, just to keep you occupied. I remember singing to you to stop your tears and waving your arms around to make you dance as if you were one of my toy dolls. You were my baby even when mom was around.

When our parents were gone and we went to live with grandma, we became each others' stability; although I know you were too young to understand. To each other, we were the one and only familiar aspect of life. Would we have been separated, I would not have known what to do without my baby. I thank God that we were fortunate to remain together despite all the craziness that took place. Of all the people who have come in and out of our lives, we have always had each other and we always will. I hope you never forget that.

So, don't be mad at me when I get onto you. I am only trying to help you. I feel, as if, it is my place to do so. Because if I don't teach you these things, who will? I know you do not want to be told what to do, especially by someone who is only five years older. I get that you are young and want to figure out these things for yourself; I was the same way. But, you see, I have been in your shoes before and want you to have all the knowledge I do, now, so you can make better choices than I did. You need to understand that I just want what's best for my baby, as any mother would. When you get an attitude, I am going to give you that look. When I see you doing the wrong thing, you will hear about it. When you have a game, you'll see me in the stands. When you make the Honor Roll, you should know how proud I am of you. When you need anything, I will be the one to get it for you. When you are feeling down, know that I am here for you. Since you are my sister, you will never be alone.

Moonlighting as your mother has not the easiest task, but it is the single task, in which, I have felt the proudest. I am so blessed to have a little sister like you. I am not sure if you quite understand how much you mean to me. Every pain you feel, I do too. Seeing you smile and laugh brings me so much joy. Every step of you take throughout this life, I will be right there with you. I love you, Sissy... always know that.

XO and best wishes,

Ashley Rose Corbin