"The Silent Patient" by Alex Michaelides Is The Best Summer Thriller

Here's my review of this jaw-dropping book.

23

Aspiring artist Alicia Berenson had the perfect life on the outside. Married to the love of her life, living in a grand home overlooking London, and building her career as a painter. Alicia had it all, until she shot her husband in the face one night and never said a word again. Years later, a unique psychologist starts working in the mental hospital Alicia is being kept at. Can he crack the case of the silent murderer?

Author Alex Michaelides truly stuns his readers with this plot-twisting thriller. Born in Cyprus, Michaelides studied English literature at Cambridge University. "The Silent Patient" was the #1 New York Times bestseller of Hardcover Fiction and was the second book on Amazon's list of Most Sold Books in fiction.

The beginning of the book is interesting to read about Alicia's seemingly perfect life. In fact, I felt jealous of her passionate love for her husband and for her artwork. Michaelides molds her life so flawlessly, the first shock of the book comes when Alicia suddenly shoots her husband in the face one night at home.

In the following chapters, the reader is taken on twists and turns that uncover the darker pieces of Alicia's life between her husband, friends, and past. We also learn about her life now in a mental hospital. The reader has no choice but to feel frustrated that she won't speak about what happened that night, as curiosity grows.

When a psychologist comes along into the hospital determined to crack Alicia's case, the audience feels as though the juicy details of the murder will finally be revealed. We're all rooting for the doctor and he really does make significant progress. Until another plot twist throws a wrench into the reader's hopes for the big reveal.

The ending had my jaw dropped as I couldn't believe what I was reading. I was in serious shock, but couldn't put the book down. I was hooked. Each line just kept getting better and better. The beginning chapters of build up are seriously worth reading through just to experience the hair-raising ending.

This book is for sure my new favorite and nothing could have prepared me for the series of gripping plot twists. At the end of each chapter, I really thought I had my predictions nailed down, only to be completely stunned by what actually happened.

I seriously recommend "The Silent Patient" for a great summer read. It will keep you on your toes and will certainly not disappoint in its thrilling aspects. I can add this one to my list of favorites.