The Ron-Swanson Birthday Person

The Ron-Swanson Birthday Person

Not everyone likes birthday parties.

208
The Ron-Swanson Birthday Person

When it comes to birthdays there are two types of people:

There are those who celebrate a "birth-week" and those who barely celebrate their birthday at all.

The second group of people doesn't want people to tell them 'Happy Birthday!' a bazillion times, they definitely don't want a party, and you will probably find them hiding away from the world somewhere on the anniversary of their day of birth.

Don't even try to throw this person a birthday party - especially not a surprise party. They will hold a grudge for eternity. They don't want a party, they don't want to be surrounded by lots of people on this day, just don't.

If you simply must throw this person a birthday party make sure that the minimal friend group is there. Five people at the most (making a total of six people which is good for games). Make sure that there are lots of the birthday persons favorite foods and keep the atmosphere relaxed. No theme parties here.

If you are going to give this person a gift make sure it is something meaningful to them and they will actually enjoy it and use it. A fancy smancy birthday card is not necessary, and please please don't force them to open the gift in front of you. They can actually appreciate your thoughtfulness later in private when they feel like you are not judging their reaction or at least give them the gift in private rather than in front of a group of people.

There have been times when I have wanted to redact my birthday information like Ron Swanson. I grew up in a family where birthdays were casual family affairs and where we would get a small gift that was generally something useful (like a winter coat). I loved this approach because rather than making the day a consumerism paradise it was about just spending time with the people you loved or just spending time with yourself doing your favorite things.

If you are someone who dreads going to work or school on your birthday give yourself the day off as your present. Then you don't have to deal with people telling you happy birthday or making a big deal out of the day. Go do something you enjoy. Eat at your favorite restaurant. Treat yourself to something you have been wanting to do. Spend the day in your pajamas eating pizza and watching Netflix. The point is just be fully yourself on that day. As for me I'm going to eat at my favorite restaurant with my fiancé and then I'm going to put on PJ's and watch some Parks and Rec, because that is my happy place.