The Role of A Doctor is Much More Than Treating Patients

The interaction between a doctor and a patient is like no other.

36

Doctors have always been our superheroes especially during our most difficult times. Doctors have always risked their own lives in order to save their patients' lives. Over this summer I participated in an online program called the Lenox Hill Neurosurgery program. Initially I thought this program was only going to be about neurosurgery and other medical related issues but the program turned out to be much more than neurosurgery. I have met some of the most amazing and dedicated doctors and healthcare workers that contribute an important role to patient care.

I have learned many things by participating in this amazing summer webinar series. I have been able to experience a wide variety of knowledge from all different aspects of healthcare. In addition, to the medical knowledge I gained in these past few weeks I think the most important thing I have learned about doctors and other important leaders in the healthcare system is how to treat your patients as if they are your own family and building a community between the patients and the doctors. The community at Lenox Hill and the communication between the patients and doctors at Lenox Hill is something I found really fascinating because the doctors at Lenox Hill really take the time to make sure the patients understand everything that is going on. I have learned much more about what it truly means to be a doctor and take care of a patient.

In addition, I have learned that as much as scientific knowledge is needed, communication skills are very important when thinking about the role of a doctor. By participating in this program I have gained a new perspective about the role of a doctor. When I was younger I used to think that doctors need to be really good at science and other clinical skills but now I have realized how much it is important to also learn how to connect with your patients. I used to think that doctors are responsible for diagnosing a patient and offering the best options for treatment, but there is much more to a doctor's role than just treating a patient. Watching the doctors in the Lenox Hill Neurosurgery Department and other departments truly care for their patients has made me more curious about the field of medicine! One reason why many people including me choose the field of medicine is to help and serve other people, but to see in reality the interactions between a patient and a doctor is fascinating. The sense of trust that a patient has for a doctor and the support patients receive from their doctors during their most difficult times is something that really amazed me. Lastly, I wanted to say that I am really thankful for Lenox Hill Hospital for providing such opportunities for students interested in medicine. Initially I did not know what I was going to do this summer because all of my plans were cancelled, but this program truly made my summer valuable!