The Revolutionary Potential Of Virtual Reality And The Challenges It Must First Overcome

Virtual Reality is not just for gamers and has potential applications that transcend entertainment.

44
Google Images

Virtual Reality consumer devices have been around for over 40 years, but the medium has not gained much traction due to a slew of technological and social challenges that are still relevant today. Out of all the companies in the world, who would have thought that Facebook would have a keen interest in this relatively young industry? They obviously do, evident from the fact that in 2014 Facebook purchased a Virtual Reality startup company, Oculus VR, for a whopping 2 billion dollars!

Since then, a horde of companies have entered the fray, such as Google, HTC and Valve Cororation, Samsung, and Sony by investing millions into refining the technology for the masses. Interestingly, these companies aren’t just focusing their VR tech exclusively on video games, which opens up Pandora ’s Box to a multitude of additional applications that have the capacity to revolutionize industries such as education, business, and entertainment to name a few.

For starters, Mark Zuckerberg stated something very interesting that clearly outlines what he believes VR is capable of: “This is just the start. After games, we’re going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences,” he wrote. “Imagine enjoying a courtside seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world, or consulting with a doctor face-to-face – just by putting on goggles in your home.”

Regarding our education system, It’s no secret that it's lacking and failing millions of American students, evident by the fact that we rank 25th in math, 23rd in literacy, and 27th in science among 15-year-olds. The figures are disappointing, and although I don’t think the introduction of VR learning into the classroom would shoot us to the top of the rankings, I believe that a new way of learning, especially one so immersive, could drastically narrow the learning disparity.

Imagine what a field trip with VR would look like. Children who don’t have the means to visit distant locations in real life could do so virtually under a near-seamless virtual reality recreation of whatever place or time they choose. Ancient Rome, 18th-century America, and even the birth of the universe would suddenly become more than just words on a school textbook, but artificial realities that a student can see for themselves and learn from.

Some educational endeavors have already been instigated, such as a VR recreation of the Apollo Landing by an Irish tech company, a VR demonstration of the workings on the International Space Station, and even the chance to be transported back to the Bronze Age via the British Museum’s new VR experience.

Moreover, VR can transform businesses for the better in several ways. Training for an occupation could be relegated to the virtual world. You simply wake up for your first day of orientation, but instead of heading to an office where you’re bombarded by a multitude of information, you just put on your VR headset and become immersed and interested in a new way of training. For disabled or stay-at-home workers, VR can transport them to a virtual work office all from the comforts and conveniences of their homes. One could argue that it would not be the same due to the isolating nature of VR, but I imagine there will be virtual reality worlds where you’re able to converse with fellow VR users, thus conserving the social aspect of the workplace.

Besides video games, VR has the capacity to revolutionize the entertainment industry, such as films and music. People visit the cinemas to escape reality for a few hours and become engrossed by the cinematic experience. With VR, people can become even more immersed by being dropped into their favorite film and experiencing the reality of that fictional universe. For those who crave some more realism, there have already been a handful of VR films that document real life events, such as the aftermath of the Nepal Earthquakes, candlelit vigils after the Paris attacks, and Ebola survivors in Liberia. Also, VR can allow viewers the chance to see their favorite musical bands as if they were there in real life. Concert tickets can get incredibly pricey, but with VR, you can sit back on your chair and experience your favorite band from the safety of your home. Universal Music Group and iHeartMedia Radio have recognized the potential of this idea and they along with other companies have invested $345 million into VR in order to bring the concert experience to the consumer’s private space.

All of these applications sound great in theory, but there are several obstacles that VR must overcome before becoming accessible to the masses. First off, the technology is still in its infancy and needs refinement before a regular consumer can get their hands on it. Motion sickness is still a problem that technicians are attempting to solve with varying degrees of success. The Wall Street Journal created a resource that outlines some health warnings concerning VR: “The experience can cause nausea, eyestrain and headaches. Headset makers don’t recommend their devices for children. Samsung and Oculus urge adults to take at least 10-minute breaks every half hour, and they warn against driving, riding a bike, or operating machinery if the user feels odd after a session.”

In addition, the current processing power required to achieve a true VR experience is excessive, and it will still be some time before a consumer can experience the wonders of VR through their phones. High performing computers can run a VR simulation just fine, but only one percent of computers in global use have the capacity to run VR at the moment. In order for VR to achieve mass consumption, I think that our phones have to be the avenue through which a consumer accesses VR, and the technology for this to become reality is still several years away.

Lastly, the physical process of putting on a VR headset and becoming detached from the world can be difficult for people because of the isolating nature that it creates. I think that people might be wary about strapping a machine to their face, and companies need to find a way to make this socially acceptable. Imagine getting on a train or bus and every single passenger has a device strapped to their face. Wouldn’t that look strange, or dystopian even? People are constantly distracted by their handhelds as it is, which cuts into their everyday social interactions. Would escaping into a virtual world improve social interactions or drastically reduce them even more than they are now?

These are warranted concerns that I think will be a challenge for VR to overcome. Regardless, the future is upon us, and nothing worthwhile ever came about without some complications. Virtual Reality is the future. Are you ready?