Will Netflix's Reputation Deliver With 'A Series Of Unfortunate Events'?

Thoughts before watching the new "Series of Unfortunate Events" adaptation.

45
Capital FM

I recall a time when a certain children's novel was all that anyone could talk about.

When we wondered wistfully when the next novel would be released, helplessly hoped that our three protagonists would finally have a happy ending and curiously contemplated the true identity of the mysterious Lemony Snicket.

It is exactly for these reasons and more why this young woman plans to binge watch Netflix's newest series, "A Series of Unfortunate Events."

About 18 years have passed since the publication of the first novel in the series, and around 11 years after the last novel in the 13-book series was released. Even the film adaptation that came out once upon a decade has some time on it -- its release date being all the way back in 2004.

Combined with an astounding gap in timeline and fond childhood memories of reading the series from start to finish at least twice, and then discussing the unfortunate events with friends who had been re-reading the series along with me, there are more than enough reasons for me to dedicate my entire weekend to binge watching this show.

There have been stories and discussions before about how binge watching shows can have negative effects. But to be honest, it's hard to think about any of that when a long-awaited series based off of a famous book series from your childhood has finally arrived.

Netflix Original Series have a well-known history of always delivering. Their recent shows "The Crown" and "Stranger Things" proving that their teams know how to create dynamic and thought-provoking stories.

The recent Golden Globe nominations and wins can end any debate on the matter up front. This legacy, along with what appears to be an excellent cast composed of Neil Patrick Harris and Patrick John Warburton, provides little room for doubt on expectations for "A Series of Unfortunate Events."

Of course, it has been a while since anyone in my age group has probably read the series. Meaning that what we remember to have been and what will be given to us has the potential to differ. As we've seen with other shows based off other novels and series, they sometimes have the habit of moving too fast, going off-book, or having different interpretations from what might be considered the popular consensus.

Nevertheless, I remain optimistic for the series, and will definitely revisit the topic next week with my reflections and first impressions. In the meantime, everyone is encouraged to take some time to watch this as well, if only to revisit the happy times when we were all infatuated with the tales of not so happy endings.