The Replacements' 'Let It Be': A Recollection Of Adolescence

The Minnesota band's 1984 classic captures the essence of being a teen.

26

Adolescence is a strange and confusing time in a person's life. It can be fun, as teens start to find friends that will be there for them in good and bad times. Adolescence still has some of the spirit and innocence of childhood, and it can be where people find love for the first time in their lives. People mature during this period of time, and they are faced with bigger obligations than ever before. Teens have to start thinking about their future and what they're interested in, and they gain additional responsibilities such as driving and jobs. Adolescence can be difficult as well, as teens are trying to figure out who they are. Being a teen can be wonderful and perplexing, and The Replacements' 1984 masterpiece "Let It Be" expresses this extremely well.

The sound of "Let It Be" accurately sums up what it's like to be a teenager. Its unrestrained guitars are played in a sloppy manner, and it feels as though The Replacements deliberately sacrifice polish for a sense of unending fun. Much of the album is raw and lacking in finesse, and the album is full of mistakes and missed cues. Even though "Let It Be" is rough around the edges, its instrumentation reflects the recklessness of adolescence. All of the coarse playing recreates the impulsive decisions that teens make, and the raw energy embraces the immaturity that is present in teens.

The vocals and lyrics are reminiscent of being a teen, as well. Paul Westerberg announces himself to be the master of teen angst, as his coarse musings have so much emotion in them. From the overwhelming howls of "Answering Machine" to the optimistic spirit of "Favorite Thing," Westerberg reaches out to the inner 16-year-old in all of us. His impassioned singing shows the fierce trials of adolescence, and his lyrics tell wonderful tales of vigorous youth. "Unsatisfied" and "I Will Dare" tell effective stories of brash young men that have a lot to say, and Westerberg's words show the exhilaration and fear that comes with adolescence.

All of this adds up to an experience that cannot be forgotten. "Let It Be" is so careless and disheveled that it becomes endearing, and the listener is pulled into the delightfully messy world of the album. The album has a strong emotional core to it that never lets up, and it becomes a tribute to the troubles of being young. "Let It Be" encourages its listeners to remember the experiences that they went through as a teen, and it has moments of genuine beauty in its disorganization. The Replacements succeed in creating a wonderful adventure, and they turn into older brothers that can recount tales of youthfulness.

Overall, "Let It Be" is a testament to the struggles of adolescence. In just a little over half an hour, The Replacements have created a timeless classic that can touch everyone who was a teen. The gruff instrumentation accurately echoes the wildly fluctuating emotions of adolescence, and it has an incredible sense of energy to it. Paul Westerberg tells emotive accounts of teen problems, bravely showing anxiety and fortitude in the process. "Let It Be" also turns into a great experience that is full of limitless emotion, and it lets listeners reconnect with their teenage selves. "Let It Be" is an excellent document of what it's like to be a teen, and its uninhibited enthusiasm will always strike a chord with listeners.