The Reason For the Animals

The Reason For the Animals

Behind the scenes at the county fair.

18
The Reason For the Animals
Natasha Doan

Welcome to the Canyon County Fair. Before the rides, the music, and the smell of greasy food fills the air the true meaning of the fair begins. On the far side of the animal barns theres a ruckus ensuing. Here come the hogs.

First thing in the morning the Tuesday before the fair the animals come in. First the pigs, then sheep, goats and cattle; all owned and cared for by children and young adults with a passion for agriculture. When the pigs come in they are unloaded trailer by trailer and walked by their owner across a scale to find their weight. The minimum weight is 220, but they like to see them between 260 and 300 for butcher weight. After the pigs are weighed they are walked to there pens were the other pigs from the FFA or 4-H chapter they are affiliated with is located.

FFA stands for Future Farmers of America and is comprised of high school students in chapters according to their school. FFA can be found all across America and Japan. 4-H is a youth organization that focuses on creating well rounded citizens. Along with animal projects 4-H members can participate in plant projects, cooking, sewing, wood working and science projects. There are so many project options for these kids.

They spend the day adjusting to their new environment and getting their picture taken. This can take several hours, not just because of the amount of pigs, but because some pigs like to take off from their owners and run a muck around the barn until successfully corralled where they need to be. Every year there’s a first year 4-H’er that ends up riding his pig down the aisle. As the pigs run through their schedule, the horses start the first part of their competitions, ranging from rodeo events, reining competitions and cattle herding. They are put through different tests based on the animal’s ability and their rider’s. The day goes on and the temperature rises in the barns. The pig barn is the hottest, most hectic barn. To keep the pigs cool they are walked down to the wash rack and sprayed off. This can be a crazy time to be in the barn, as pigs will run down the aisle when given the freedom. That evening the sheep, goats, and cattle come in. Sheep have a minimum weight of 100, goats 65, beef cattle 1050. They are lead in by their owners, have to be vet checked for health, and weighed. Any animal that doesn’t make the minimum weight cannot be shown at the fair.

The sun is setting now on the first day of the real fair, but the lights in the barns stay on. There are people here most of the night, cleaning pens, feeding animals, and keeping watch over their hard work.

The second day begins bright and early with the first tired eyed agriculture enthusiast coming through the gate a little after dawn. Most have animals at home that have to be taken care of first. They clean pens, water and feed their bellowing animals. If any happen to have rolled in manure they get bathed and brushed until they are the best looking livestock around. The pig barn is already filled with people by 6am. Today is show day. Starting at 8am the Swine Market show starts. They show based on breed and weight. There are around 6-10 pigs per class and 34 classes. It will take most of the day to get through all of the classes. This show is based on quality of the pig to the judge's specifications. Walking into the ring none of the showmen know what the judge is going to want, short pigs, tall pigs, extreme muscle, slight muscle, or a little bit of fat around the edges. A winner is chosen from each class, being awarded a blue ribbon. After several classes there is a run-off were the best is chosen from those class winners, this winner then competes at the final at the end of the day, were all breeds and weights compete. After the pigs finish their market show the sheep compete in their show, running in a similar format. As the sun sets on the second day of the fair the lights are still on in the livestock barns as the future of the food industry take care of their animals.

The third day begins another day of showing. Today instead of the animals being judged and the competitors will be judged on their training skills and showmanship of their animal. The classes are split up based on experience. The senior showmen begin at 8am. Each contestant will be asked questions about their animal. The winners of each class will compete in a run off for Grand Champion Showman. The whole day is filled with the showmanship, each species going one after the other; pigs starting the day as usual. Today is the day the fair open to the public. Starting at noon people flood through the gates to enjoy the county fair. Asking questions and showing interest in the livestock there. Young children's eyes widen as they see the big steers and lazy hogs, colorful chickens, fluffy sheep and baby goats. The next two days run a little bit slower than the hectic show days. Up early and there late the dedicated members of the 4-H and FFA still have energy to enjoy the concerts and shows at the fair.

Saturday morning of the fair begins with the buyers' breakfast. And time for the local businesses and members of the community to chat before participating in the livestock auction. During the auction the projects of the kids will be sold for more than market price, as a reward for the hard work put forward by the members. The sale is hot and humid and runs for the whole day. Most people not participating in the sale try to avoid the loud and crowded barn. Again the lights will stay on long past fair hours in the livestock barns.

The final day of the fair begins. Today the winners of every showmanship competition will compete against each other showing all animals. Goats, sheep, cattle, pigs, chickens and horses. The best and most informed showman will win the title of Round Robin Champion. As the patrons leave the fair early before their busy Monday of work. The 4-H and FFA members and their families stay late again today, but tonight is different. They are saying goodbye to the animals they have cared for for most of the year. The youngest members shed tears as the older ones have grown used to the fact of the life they live, they raise the animals that feed America.

After everyone leaves the trucks will roll in and pick up the livestock to go to the butchers around the valley. This is the behind the scenes reason for the county fair. Next time you visit remember these kids and their animals put food on your table.