The Realities Of Dating A Computer Guy

The Realities Of Dating A Computer Guy

At least he can fix stuff right?

2354
The Realities Of Dating A Computer Guy
Samantha Colvin

All my life I have used technology but I have always been one of those people who can only stare at a computer screen for a short period of time before I need to get outside and do something physical. Growing up, I played sports more than I played computer games so you can probably imagine that dating someone the complete opposite of that, like a computer scientist who can stare at a screen for 2 days straight without needing a break, required some getting used to. Here are ten things only girlfriends of computer scientists will understand:

• He will want to replace all of your plugs and gadgets with his fancy complicated plugs that he prefers. For example, plugs that allow you to turn the lights on and off from your phone.
  • Your normal, civilian wifi will just never suffice compared to the wifi he has at his place. He will complain about it until the day he dies…or he will just bring his own router to make it work to his standards.
  • If you feel guilty about having a phone, laptop, and computer don’t worry because your programmer boyfriend will most likely have a phone, multiple ipads, multiple laptops, monitors, a smart watch of some sort (maybe multiple), and other random techie gadgets like a wireless computer mouse, multiple Apple TVs, and more cords and plugs than you could ever imagine.
  • He is always connected. You learn to accept the fact that there will hardly ever be a conversation that will not somehow involve a piece of technology.
  • You will envy his ability to perfectly plan out all aspects of his life and calculate whether or not a plan will work. You might think this is not a good method but time after time you will watch in disbelief as everything falls perfectly into place. It’s almost like he has a computer in his head instead of a brain (lol).
  • You can count on him 100% to fix anything electronic that breaks…and eventually so will your closest friends and family and even your grandma. Once those around you catch on to his abilities there is no going back.
  • He will most likely play and/or watch YouTube videos of other people playing computer games that will leave people who don’t understand (such as your roommates) asking if he’s “watching this video for school”. They will then most likely judge as you explain that he is watching it for fun but you’ll defend him because you secretly think it’s cute.
  • His only school supply is a computer…which can be kind of disappointing when you get excited about going school supply shopping together and then realize it’s more like you buying school supplies and him watching whilst being unable to believe that some of your professors actually ban technology in their classrooms.
  • He will continue to impress you by typing what looks like a bunch of random letters and symbols on his computer screen (AKA code) and then turning those into something super awesome and functional.
  • You will quickly learn that computer science is not just something he is studying in school nor is it just a hobby, it’s a way of life (one that most likely does not include sports or any form of physical activity). Understanding this is key to understanding your programming boyfriend.