The quickest way to develop mobile and web apps

Backend as a Service | The quickest way to develop mobile and web apps

64

MBaaS

Backend as a Service

MBaaS that also referred to as Backend as a Service, and BaaS is a modern method of creating web and mobile applications. MBaaS can bring advancements to application development similar to the impact emails brought in the previous century. Like email is a faster and more efficient alternative to the postal system, BaaS can add more value and efficiency to your application development process.

BaaS providers offer everything required for app development, including:

• Backend resources
  • Server infrastructure
  • Essential tools to develop mobile and web apps

These platforms also have integrated functionalities to perform common development tasks such as:

• Social media integration
  • Location services
  • User authentication
  • Push notifications
  • Database management, and more.

In addition, BaaS users also have the facility to access a serverless environment that's optimized to develop, deploy, run, and test applications. So, overall, you don't have to be bothered about managing infrastructure and installing backends.

Reasons to use Backend as a Service.

Most of the developers are switching to BaaS globally from other kinds of development methods. However, do you want to know the reasons behind it? Here are some of the most important reasons why more and more developers are switching to BaaS that you must know.

So, here we go:

Reduced development costs

The traditional mobile and web apps development methods need extensive capital investment, particularly for managing app infrastructure and hiring a development team. A conventional procurement list will include:

• Network infrastructure
  • Server machines
  • Backend services and others.

Along with that, you need human resources as a backend developer, security expert, network administrator, app designer, etc. However, ongoing maintenance and regular application updates are some of the additional costs to consider. All of these things can make the overall application development process overly complex and costly.

However, on the other hand, using an MBaaS solution can bring relief to developers' lives. It is because you can access a top-notch development infrastructure without even any substantial capital costs.

Most importantly, various BaaS providers also offer a free plan to get started with the development process. However, you can scale your resources over time as needed.

Accelerated development processes

Besides reducing development costs, BaaS solutions can also accelerate your application development process effectively. A BaaS solution can help you to expedite development projects in three ways. These include:

• Firstly, you don't have to waste any time on acquiring and managing application infrastructure.
  • Secondly, you don't have to grease your elbows in some of the most time-consuming tasks of development projects which are configuring your OS and applications' backend.
  • Thirdly, BaaS platforms usually offer code blocks, access to essential development tools. So, adding and handling all the functionalities in your apps, such as push notifications, user authentication, app management, and more, will become a breeze for you. In short, you can develop functions that previously required days to complete within a few minutes with Baas platforms.

With all these benefits, your application development process will be accelerated significantly. Ultimately, you can have more time to market for your development projects in the best possible way.

Quick and easier scaling

Once you have created an excellent and feature-rich application, the number of your app users will increase over time. However, the success of your application will also bring some challenges. It is because you have to scale the resources used in your application to make it easier to handle the load for the application.

Even more, people using your application always want to experience high-class availability and performance. Otherwise, they will stop using your application.

However, when it comes to scaling your application, different factors such as limited hardware resources, lack of technical skills, poor query design, inefficient database engine, and others can make things harder in this regard.

Fortunately, an effective BaaS solution can hold your back in this regard. Commonly, BaaS solutions are meant to enhance scalability right from the onset. Even more, most BaaS platforms use cutting-edge technology to support effective and efficient scaling whenever needed. It is the reason why apps powered by BaaS hardly experience any availability and performance issues.

Key features of Backend as a Service Solutions

BaaS platforms commonly offer a variety of backend features to their users. Let's explore some of the key features of Baas providers below that you must know.

So, here we go:

Database

Database management is one of the most effective and essential features of most of the Baas providers. These platforms allow users to access databases to support the endeavors of front-end development. The Baas companies may also provide integrated database management or offer tools to let users manage databases without any hassle.

APIs

BaaS platforms also offer APIs to enable developers to connect their app's frontend to the cloud-based Backend. These can also let developers integrate back-end functions, such as storage services, notifications, authentication, and other similar integrations available on the vendor's platform.

Hosting

Commonly Baas platforms provide dual functions that are app hosting and development. Users can access cloud-based storage for hosting APIs, backend files, and user-generated content. BaaS also allows seamless app hosting scaling when needed.

Notifications

Developers using BaaS can use different types of notification functions. However, the standard notification channels include email notifications, SMS notifications, and push notifications. Some of the BaaS platforms offer push notifications only, while others provide multichannel notifications' configuration.

Security

The BaaS platforms' security functions very heavily from a vendor to vendor. Commonly, Baas offers user authentication, SSL, and user management. While others like Back4app also offer GDPR privacy compliance and 2-factor authentication to ensure securer app development.

A guide on how to select the best BaaS provider

Here are the key factors that you must consider while choosing a BaaS provider:

Open-source vs. proprietary

A BaaS platform is either proprietary or open-source. Open-source source code is commonly available publicly, due to which developers can freely personalize the code as per their unique development needs.

However, proprietary aka closed-source platforms like firebase don't allow access to the source code. So, if you are building an app that requires a lot of customization, open-source technology is preferable for you.

Available tools and resources for development

Different BaaS platforms offer different development resources and tools. These can help in making app development and management easier. So, it's always recommended to explore the available tools such as CLI (Command Line Interface) for tasks automation, app management features, mobile security, integration with enterprise platforms, documentation, and APIs.

Supported technologies

Supported technologies of a BaaS platform can let you determine the types of apps and features you can create. So, you must go with a platform that supports programming languages you are skilled in. Also, it must provide REST API and GraphQL API to write queries. It will let you write queries with precision to enhance the performance of the application and can also allow you to save more on data transfer.

Ease of use

BaaS platforms are supposed to make your development processes faster and easier. So, it's always better to avoid choosing BaaS platforms that require an extensive learning curve before using them.

An excellent BaaS platform comes up with an intuitive interface and easy-to-use visual tools to complete backend development and management tasks.

Cost of BaaS

It's impossible to overshoot the budget you have for creating an app. Therefore, considering the cost of the BaaS solution is a vital factor here. Fortunately, various cost-efficient BaaS solutions are available out there.

You can also consider choosing a BaaS platform that offers a free plan. So, you can create MVP and get acquainted with the platform for free. Don't forget to see the flexibility of premium plans as well for ensured convenience in the future.

Availability of technical support

Whether you are running your own company or working as an independent developer, technical support can be needed at least once in a while. Therefore, you must ensure to choose a BaaS provider that comes up with excellent technical support. However, if you are choosing an open-source or self-hosted BaaS solution, it's a must to go with the option that has an active community. So, you can get essential support whenever needed.

Final Thoughts

BaaS providers have brought a much-needed innovation in web and mobile application development projects. These can help you to create modern apps quicker than ever. Even more, BaaS services can also help in reducing development costs significantly and let you manage apps seamlessly.

Whenever it's about choosing the best Baas platform, performing your due diligence is highly important to make a better choice in this regard.