The Pumpkin Spice Latte is Back...

The Pumpkin Spice Latte is Back...

Why are you judging me?

14
The Pumpkin Spice Latte is Back...
Delish

Hey there. I am a 20 year-old blonde college student. I’m the same as you, except I may not run on the same 4-season calendar as you do. Rather, I run on a two-season calendar: pumpkin-season and not-pumpkin-season.

Yes, fall is my all-time favorite season. I dislike the summer with a passion, as it’s hot, sweaty, and denim shorts are a constrictive prison for your legs. In the fall I can enjoy being outside, slightly bundled and overjoyed. But because I’m a girl and I love the fall and everything pumpkin, I get slapped with a label: Basic.

On a crisp fall morning I walk into a coffee shop, place my order discreetly, and then wait for my morning’s highlight: a pumpkin spice latte. I wait around the corner of the counter with others waiting for their drinks. The barista then announces the finished creation–“PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE." As I reach out to claim my cup I look up. The people around me look at my blonde hair and look down to check if I’m wearing Ugg boots (I am). I can feel their judgments, making sense of my being in their minds. I just know that’s what they’re thinking–“Oh, she’s just basic.”

Let’s backtrack. Why does my drink of choice equate to what kind of person I am? Just because I order a particular flavor in my morning or afternoon pick-me-up, people think they have me all figured out. In reality, I drink pumpkin spice lattes because they are delicious and I wear Ugg boots because they are comfortable. Big knit scarves are like a loving hug for your neck, and the smell of apple cinnamon is good for the soul. Because I love these things, I am not taken seriously.

I am aware that our society has a problem with stereotyping. Every time I complain about being called a basic girl, people tell me to be quiet and accept that stereotype because it’s one of the “nicer” ones. I can see where they’re coming from because I’m not being judged based on my race or religion in this case, but I’m still being judged and it’s infuriating. In my opinion, all stereotypes or judgments are ridiculous and unnecessary. Yes, I rock a flannel and boots waiting for my order, but if you judged me solely on that, you wouldn’t know that I love American muscle cars, I love 90’s grunge music (The Smashing Pumpkins are my favorite, no pun intended), and I sometimes watch Ultimate Fighting with my father. I can have a conversation about anything with anyone. I’m not a dumb blonde who only speaks in Starbucks-orders and designer brand lingo. I am a straight-A student who looks at life thoughtfully. I am a well-rounded person and I have so many layers to me. Everyone has an outer appearance and a true inner self. Very rarely does one’s outer appearance completely represent them.

My advice to you pumpkin-spice-haters is to go to your nearest Starbucks and order yourself my drink of choice. My advice to fellow “basics” is to keep being you. Don’t let people who think they’re super original and too cool make you feel bad for enjoying what you love. Everyone is original in his or her own way, and contrary to popular belief, we pumpkin-lovers aren’t a mindless army of girls. I’ve introduced my friends who are the complete opposite of the stereotypical basic girl to the pumpkin life, and they never went back. As a society, we all need to be more accepting of each other, and possibly be more willing to try new things that our peers are interested in. We might just learn something.