The Public Debate Held At My School; Was Colin Kaepernick Right?

Change needs to start somewhere, doesn't it?

17
rukes.com

A couple days ago I had the pleasure (and time) to listen to a public debate being held on my campus, Humboldt State. Open for students, faculty and adults to come and talk as they like. Two minutes per person. The topic? Does sitting during the national anthem help the civil rights movement? In regards to Colin Kaepernick and his recent actions. If you don’t know what went on there or who he is check this out, Colin Kaepernick explains why he sat during the National Anthem, and form your own opinion on it. Then come back to continue reading. Now Humboldt, I feel, is full of radical thinkers and open minded people, so a lot of what I heard was on the side of Kaepernick. I stepped in kind of late so I’m not sure who else might’ve said this, but I only heard one girl openly oppose Kaepernick and his stand (or lack thereof) and say, “It’s an insult to our country.” That kind of riled people up and I then saw more people step up to speak, which was cool. I would have as well, but I had class coming up soon. One of the last people to talk was a fellow who wasn’t opposing but also wasn’t exactly elated about what Kaepernick was/is doing. He said that black men have been dying and will keep dying and that he feels a lot of people just see the news and scroll through and keep going with their lives. He doesn’t feel like a lot of people are actually stepping up to make a big change, or that they care at all.

To the man who spoke and said no one cares, and will keep scrolling, I just want you to know, (he may never read this), but I care. I care a lot. I look, I listen, I watch videos and I care. This shit eats away at my soul. There are so many things wrong in the world, and I won’t be able to forget about any of them, until they are fixed, or the day that I die. For most of my life I grew up thinking that everyone in the world got treated just like me. (Or at least everyone in the U.S.) I know, very, very, foolish. Now that I’ve taken some classes, and expanded my knowledge, I know race isn’t real, and that we are all apart of one race, the human race. And further still, I know that we are ALL earthlings, all connected to each other on this Earth. That being said, I care for all the wrongful deaths happening, regardless of my skin color, or theirs. And I would always love to learn more about racial injustice, different cultures, different points of view from all ethnicities, because by all means, I do not know everything.

And now, to state my opinion in direct regards to Colin Kaepernick. I think what he’s doing is great. He is a public figure, who has and will continue to get a lot of media attention. I think he was one of the best people to do it. When celebrities are on board with something the world changes! Heck, imagine if the Kardashians turned a new leaf and started preaching about climate change and black lives matter, or the unethical treatment of animals, I’m sure a huge difference would be seen.

The conversation addressing the unlawful and horrific shootings of black men needs to be started and continued, and I think that sitting down during the national anthem is big enough to get it going. Which it did, at my school. And it has, across many social media platforms. I stand on the side of the veterans defending Colin Kaepernick, and with what he himself is saying, that when not everyone in America is getting fair treatment why the hell should he honor the national anthem? (hypothetical question) I personally will sit through all of the national anthems that I am witness to, as well.

We are all living beings. We are all earthlings, living together on this Earth. When one thing happens to someone it affects another, even though you might not think so. So why not stand in solidarity with people who are being oppressed, or open your mind to something, even if you might not agree with it. People shouldn’t have to fight so hard for civil rights that most other people are blindly given. We all deserve equal treatment. So, that being said, let’s do something! Reform is hard. It’s really complicated, trust me, I’m taking policy classes in regards to the environment. There are so many loopholes, and sometimes, even if there is public input and scientific evidence, things happen, even if they are detrimental to the environment or people.

This is not to say that I don't support the Black Lives Matter movement, because I do. I fully support it and understand the importance of just saying, "black lives matter." When I say we are all earthlings, and we all deserve equal treatment, I'm not trying to stifle "black lives matter," and change it to "all lives matter," and I hope I don't come across as doing so. Just on a worldly scale, we truly are all earthlings.

So let’s start a revolution! Let’s revolt! Let’s have marches, peaceful protests, sit ins, you name it, I want in, because I want to help make a difference.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and remember to always stay aware.