The Pros And Cons To Cyber School

The Pros And Cons To Cyber School

What are the positives and negatives?

12296
The Pros And Cons To Cyber School
Creative Commons

Pros:

1. Flexibility

Distance learning in education allows for a flexible school day. Rather than having eight hours of time taken from a student’s day, cyber school is a lenient schedule that allows the student to work at convenient times.

2. Self-directed

Education is all about working with a student’s individual needs, intelligence and learning preferences. Cyber school is all about the students. It is always accommodating and planning directly for the learner.

3. Better accessibility

A student is not restricted to only one school district to learn in that one setting. Distance learning in education is accessible to everyone and anyone from anywhere. A quality and consistent education is made possible for all.

4. You can learn wherever and whenever

Rather than being restricted to receiving an education in one setting during one specific time in the day, cyber school allows students to learn wherever and whenever they want. The time of day does not matter and students can learn from the comfort of wherever they please, even their own homes.

5. Lower cost

Not only is cyber-schooling accessible and flexible, it is affordable. School materials are provided for. There is no worrying about back to school shopping or packing a lunch anymore.

Cons:

1. No social interaction

Distance learning in education is exactly what the term is. Students are distanced from peers and other students. The social skills students gain from a school environment are not present in cyber school.

2. No instructor face time

Not only are the peers not present, the teachers are not either. Teachers interact through virtual chat and emailing. Students in cyber school are missing out on crucial teacher moments and interactions.

3. Effectiveness of assessments

In distance learning, assessments are not as effective as those carried out by a teacher in a classroom setting. A teacher can convey multiple assessments such as observational notes, group assessments, individual assessments, portfolios, written work, etc. In cyber school, there is only really one way to assess a student — by the work they submit online. While submitting this work, students still have access to books and notes. With this being said, online assessments are not very accurate.

4. No learning environment

A cyber environment is simply a virtual classroom, but it leaves out all of the stimulating features that a real classroom holds. Not only is a classroom a space dedicated to learning, it is filled with learners. Cyber school leaves out the aspect of creating a caring community of learners.

5. Higher risk of distractions

While trying to do school assignments on the computer, one can easily be distracted by a number of things: house duties, cell phones, online games and media sites and so much more. Is a student really capable of putting their best effort in with the constant distractions? The school environment lessens the distractions when it comes to learning. It engages rather than disengages.