The 9 Pros And Cons Of Being Completely Honest

What can I say? Honesty is the best policy.

17213
Ariel Lustre

Telling lies has become a huge part of being human. Whether the lie is big (I did not sell secrets to Russia), or small (I can't go to your party, my dog is very sick), or just a simple over-exaggeration (I scored, like, a million goals in the game), we all tell lies.

But there are a few people that are more blunt. You can call them realists, sometimes rude, or even narcissistic. Whatever you may call them, at least you can say they are honest.

Here are some of the pros and cons on being a brutally honest person

1. Pro: you can never lie

It goes against your nature to lie. You find it much easier to tell the truth rather than sugar-coating or lying. Lies, no matter how small, just seem to add up and get more confusing in the end.

2. Con: YOU CAN NEVER LIE

When blurting out the truth becomes your first instinct, it becomes nearly impossible to tell a simple lie. Something always gives it away and you're caught red-handed. Never let anyone invite you to a surprise party--it will be ruined before they know it.

3. Pro: People count on you for honest feedback

You are pretty much the first person your friends will go to to look over papers, projects, and/or presentations. People can always count on you to give real advice

4. Con: Your honesty can be skewed as being rude or ‘shady’

Sometimes blunt honesty can be unwarranted; sometimes your honesty can rub people the wrong way. You'll say how you actually feel about something or someone and it can cause more harm than good.

5. Pro: you don't sugar coat things

You can get straight to the point. You don't try to tip-toe around issues, and you can easily get to the bottom of issues and help find ways to correct them.

6. Con: your bluntness can often hurt people’s feelings

Sometimes we need to sugar coat things just a bit. Whether you need to break some bad news, or even tell your friend that the dress she’s trying on isn't working for her, you might think that by giving your honest opinion is helping, but it can actually hurt someone’s feelings.

7. Pro: Your life is much simpler

Everything is more black and white, without any grey areas. You don’t believe in them. You say what you mean and mean what you say, and if someone doesn’t like it, then who cares?

8. Con: you assume everyone else is telling the truth

This isn’t to say you’re naïve or gullible. You simply believe that because you are honest with everyone else, everyone should also be honest with you. But we all know that it doesn’t work that way.

9. Pro: your word is bond

No one has to question your motives or have any reason to doubt you. When you make a commitment, you stick to it. When you tell your friend that dress doesn’t go with those heels, then that dress did NOT go with those heels.

What can I say, honesty is the best policy. You are the definition of 'living your truth'. You don't complicate your life with beating around the bush. You get straight to the point and you don't waste anyone's time.

If we were all a bit more honest it could lead to better things. The best reputation you can have is an honest one, and you can always count on the truth over a lie any day.