The Problem With Living In The 'Hook-Up' Generation

What happened to the "old school" ways?

71

Many of today's teens will refer to this generation that they live in as the "hook-up" Generation. Nobody is looking for relationships anymore and it is honestly so sad.

When you go out now, most guys in their teens and twenties are scared of the idea of settling down with someone. I personally don't understand what's so scary about it, but then again, I'm not everyone. You are more likely to find a guy who is up for a one night stand rather than a guy who's looking for a committed relationship to grow with someone. The idea of this actually scares me and makes me so ashamed of my generation.

Sure everyone is different and has different beliefs, but it's things like this that make people end up with STDs, unwanted pregnancies, and the everlasting regret. Having a one night stand with someone may be fun in the moment, but there's always the chance of "catching feelings" for that someone when they just see you as another booty call.

This also comes along with using contraception, if you do decide that you want to be a part of this population. Granted many girls are on birth control, but it will never be 100% effective. Using condoms in addition to your birth control is your best bet to prevent an unwanted pregnancy and/or an STD. Even though this may seem like common sense, it is something that many people neglect and fail to do, resulting in what was mentioned before.

You can have a committed relationship without having to "settle down." I really do hate that term. I think of settling down as buying a house, getting married and having children. Not as being in a committed relationship.

Being part of a relationship can have so many benefits for all parties involved. You learn from one another, you grow with one another, you become a part of each others lives. If this is someone who you're going to "settle down" with, who would be a better choice? Having someone to come home to everyday is the best feeling.

I'm not saying for you to completely dump the best years of your life being in a relationship with someone, but it wouldn't hurt to have one. In a healthy relationship, you should be able to do anything that you could do single (within reason, of course).

The "hook-up" generation is something that people should not want to be part of. I'm not saying it still won't happen, but try looking for someone you connect with rather than someone you're just generally attracted to. I promise that if you do this, you will be much more happier than if you just go off meeting random guys every night.