The Problem With Being The Older Sister

The Problem With Being The Older Sister

Looking at both the curses and the blessings of being a big sister.

44
The Problem With Being The Older Sister
Sarah Tumlin

I didn't ask for this.

When I was a toddler, there was a lot of things I begged for such as toys, clothes, and food. However, there was never a point in those three years that I begged for a little sister. Not one single time, but guess what I got? Exactly that. From the memories I can recall, it was okay for a while. She didn't say much anything and I could push her around in a stroller, which was a lot of fun. The real problem came when she began to speak. Then we had an issue. This is where the consequences began, and in my 17 years of taking this position as an older sister, I have put together a list of common issues we older sisters face.

Sharing Attention

This has never been and will never be easy for me. You see, I'm the type of individual that requires a lot of attention. I have always been that way. I love being in the company of people and being able to make them smile. However, it is a lot harder to take control of the stage when you have to share the spotlight with someone else.

Having To Share Everything Else

Whether you like it or not, when you're the older sister, you will be forced into learning how to share. That means friends, material things, experiences, the whole sha-bang. You have to learn to be selfless and inclusive. There is no getting out of this one. It's basically like a marriage: Your things become her things.

Getting Told On Constantly

When you have a little sister running around, you better believe that you won't be getting away with anything, because little sisters are blabber mouths. They will constantly be telling your parents all the bad things you did, or telling your friends all the embarrassing things you've done. There is no escaping this. They have no filter. It's just what little sisters do.

Someone Is Always Watching You

Your life is always being inspected. Your little sister cannot help but snoop in your personal life. I'm convinced that it some special gene that runs in their system. Their curiosity levels are shot through the roof. One would think it would be flattering for someone to be so interested in your life, but let me tell you, it gets really irritating

You Will Constantly Be Comparing Yourself To Her

It's inevitable. You will always look at your little sister and will envy her. It may be over her looks, her body type, her mind, her personality, or maybe a little bit of all of these things, and it will bring you down. However, she's most likely looking up to you doing the same thing.

Although Being A Big Sister Isn't Easy, It's Very Rewarding.

I can't thank my parents enough for giving me my sister. She is a God sent blessing. She will always be one of my best friends. The consequences could never outweigh all the blessings that come from having a little sister. She will always be there for you. She will be one of your biggest life supporters. She will give your life new meaning that only someone who has a little sister can understand. So although being an older sister is tough at times, I wouldn't trade it for the world.