The Power Of Words

The Power Of Words

Verbal abuse and why we shouldn't tolerate apathy.

21
The Power Of Words
psst-bc
"I wish words were like little toy guns."

Carrie Underwood in her hit song expressed her feelings about words. Words are powerful. They can be written, spoken, heard, yelled, tweeted, or posted. Humans are the only species on Earth with the capability to form words and verbal language. Monkeys throw poop at each other to get a message across. We have come a long way. However, since words are truly powerful, they have the capability to do so much that sometimes we take it for granted just how much impact a few words can have, especially on another human being. Some find power in words; they can use to them to control someone through the reaction they spark. They use words to belittle someone. Make them feel like they are nothing. Make them feel nonexistent. We all wish words were like little toy guns, but the harsh reality is that every word is a bullet. A bullet aiming for the chest of those who can't handle the sting, the burn and the scar left behind.

Verbal abuse is one of the leading agents of bullying in America. Though physical harassment is a prime element of what we consider bullying, words are the deadliest agent of them all. One of my friends from high school had a little brother who committed suicide because of bullying. He was 10 years old. Yes...10 years old. He felt that the bullying he was facing in that point in his life was not worth the rest of his life. Let that sink in for a second. A 10-year-old kid was verbally abused by kids at school, and he thought his only choice was suicide. Some may say he should have said something, or that he should have fought back and resisted suicide. Everyone is different. Everyone handles distress in different ways; therefore, we have no right to judge.

For me, I took the distress of my verbal abuse to writing this article. Everyone at one point in time in their life can probably say that they too have faced verbal abuse from someone in their life. When words are used in harmful ways, they can impact the human psyche in such a way that alter their self-perception. Bullies love to refer to sensitive little boys on the playground as gay, pussies, little girls, etc. Their words hit harder in their mind that they begin to believe what they hear. Maybe they are gay. Maybe they are just scared and can't fight for themselves. Maybe they were meant to be a little girl. This initiates confusion all in the human mind. When self-perception is altered, this often leads to depression due to the internal struggle created by these mere words. A simple three-letter word such as gay can alter self-perception. Now, whether someone is gay or not is up to their own personality traits to determine. However, younger kids especially will view gay in a negative connotation as if gay is a bad thing. We love to attack those who are sensitive with words because words mean more to them than anything.

I will tell you right now, I am the most sensitive person in the world. I admit it proudly. Is it a flaw? It can be, especially when someone insults you, makes fun of you, or tells you the truth and you don't like to hear it. You may be harsh and lash out at people's criticism at you and it will spark a reaction. What sensitive people do not realize especially in times of bullying is that this reaction is what they live for. They feed off of your frustration, your pain, your anger and your resentment. However, sensitive people do not fight back. They tend to not only be sensitive for themselves, but sensitive to others' feelings. They refuse to even say a terrible thing back to the person abusing them because they are afraid of hurting them. This is where being sensitive can be a flaw.

However, my sensitive personality is my greatest strength, and here's why. Because I am sensitive, I view the world empathetically and with larger perspective. I can see how every decision I make can impact someone else. I am able to put myself in someone else's shoes and feel whatever it is that they feel. If one of my friends is losing one of their grandparents, I will feel what they are going through by imagining myself losing my grandparents as well. I can only imagine what they are going through, but the intention of caring is still there. Sensitivity is what makes me human. It is what makes me connect with people, genuinely care and grant my personality the empathy it needs to be a quality human being for God and myself.

How are we going to sit back and call sensitivity a flaw? To those who just can't help but feel the way they should feel should never feel that they are flawed. People who genuinely care, genuinely give a damn about other people should not be made to feel bad about what they feel. How can someone sit there and verbally abuse me and call me a cry baby or sensitive when it is what makes me who I am? Ask yourself this question: Would you rather be insensitive, free from pain but free from all feelings, or would you rather be sensitive, exposed to pain but also exposed to all feelings such as love, faith, hope and happiness?

If we cannot allow people to react and express how they feel by verbally abusing them and calling them names, we are basically manipulating them so that they feel nothing at all. They have no empathy, they portray no sympathy, they do not care about anyone but themselves. These are the people that verbal abuse creates. Verbal abuse may also lead to people who may not want to change and instead feel that their best escape is a bottle of Jack, a bottle of pills or a bullet to the head. Either way, we cannot create an environment and society that promotes such apathy. Understanding the power of words can be key. What we say or how we say it can do many things. Learning how to communicate and being sensitive to other people's lives can help this world become a better place. The world must come together and quit pretending that words are simply "Little Toy Guns."