The Power Of A Positive Outlook In College

The most important thing to do right, when everything else is going wrong.

60
Her Campus

Throughout the years, I have had an ongoing struggle with being negative. I always look at the bad aspects of any situation and I never stop to think about the good. This habit has made college an extremely rough time because things get thrown at you at the worst times and sometimes it just feels like you just can’t win. I have found that trying to be positive however, is extremely hard. Whenever something happens I automatically feel that need to look at how it will affect me in a negative way instead of the other way around.

Positivity, in my opinion, is one of the hardest things that someone can do. The mindset that you have to have is almost tiring in a way because your mind automatically goes to the worst case scenario or the worst aspect of the situation. It takes time to train yourself to think in a way that helps you instead of tears you down. This skill is something that I have been trying to teach myself for years and I just can’t seem to get it 100 percent down. I still look at a bad grade or a bad encounter as the worst possible thing that could have happened that day. In reality, it most likely isn’t that big of a deal and I could easily turn the situation around if I just tried not to be so negative about it. I also feel that several students let these things weigh them down for such a long period of time that after a while they don’t know how to look at it with a positive aspect. This is something that needs to change within students because college is supposed to be hard in a good way, not physically draining.

The best way that I think anyone can combat a negative attitude is by taking each day as it is. When something happens that affects you and makes you feel negatively towards yourself or the issue, then just remember that you will move on. I have tried have the outlook the of only letting the things that will affect me in one year, affect me now. If whatever I am stressing about is going to still be an issue in my life in one year then I will let myself have a negative and stressful reaction when it happens. I have also tried to start looking at all of the recent positive things that have happened in my life as opposed to the negative things. I think that this is a great thing to do when you are feeling like you have had a bad day and nothing is going right because chances are that in the last week something did go right for you. The best thing to remember is that the amount of positivity in your life depends on you. "Just remember, even your worst days only have twenty-four hours."