The Power Of Nostalgia

The Power Of Nostalgia

When you feel incredibly happy and a little sad at the same time.

16
The Power Of Nostalgia

Nostalgia is an incredible thing, and I feel like a lot of people my age cling to it. How many times have you been cleaning out your room when you find some hidden item from your childhood that suddenly transports you back? Or you're walking through the mall and you smell someone's perfume that reminds you of your second grade teacher? Or hear your favorite song from sixth grade? All of those things make you feel that warm, fuzzy glow that has a tinge of sadness to it. Without further ago, here is a list of some things that give me a mad case of nostalgia.

1. Christmas

Yes, a holiday gives me nostalgia. It's always been my favorite holiday, partially because every year I get that warm nostalgic feeling. I love when the weather gets colder and Christmas decorations start to go up. I love watching "A Charlie Brown Christmas" every Christmas Eve before my dad reads "The Night Before Christmas" to my brother and me before we go to bed. For me, Christmas is all about traditions, which of course adds to the nostalgia.

2. "Miss Independent"

Even though I didn't know the words, this song was my jam when I was little. It got me so hype. Every time I hear it I can't help but remember how crazy I was about this song and how excited I got every time it played on the radio. Now, I'm older and actually know the lyrics, and ironically it is a pretty accurate representation to my life.

3. "Harry Potter"

"Harry Potter" was the #1 fandom of my adolescent years. I waited in line to get the books at midnight with my dad, only put them down to sleep, and made sure to see the movies multiple times. Although Marvel has now become my number #1 fandom, "Harry Potter" still holds a special place in my heart. I still get chills anytime I hear "Hedwig's Theme" play, and I can't wait until I have enough time to reread the book series.

4. Mancala

I played this game at day care and summer camp growing up, and then played it as a camp counselor for many years. One day, after discovering one of my friends owned this game, I was overcome with joy and felt so much nostalgia. We began to play, and she told me that I was playing the whole game wrong and pulled out the directions to prove it. I discovered there are two versions of this game, the version based off of the directions, and the version everyone else knows because it is played at every school and day camp.

5. Disney movies from the studio's Renaissance era

Also known as "The Little Mermaid," "The Rescuers Down Under," "Beauty and the Beast," "Aladdin," "The Lion King," "Pocahontas," "The Hunchback of Notre Dame," "Hercules," "Mulan," and "Tarzan." Sure, some of these movies might have their faults, but I love them to pieces and remember watching them on VHS over and over and over again.