Random Roommate

My Random Roommate And I Are The Perfect Combination, Miracles Do Happen

Thank you, university housing, for randomly placing two strangers together who ended up becoming instant best friends.

109
May Mwachande
Mau Mwachande

Prior to coming to college, I was nervous about who I was going to end up rooming with. I did have close friends coming to campus with me, but we all wanted to branch out and go with random roommates. The many questions crossed my mind: Will she like me? Will I like her? Will we be able to find common ground? How are two complete strangers going to manage to live in a room together?

On move-in day, my roommate, Jessica, and I instantly hit it off. We found out that we had a lot in common, such as being Chicago natives and loving books. As the months in the year fly by, the closer she and I became. Here is a list of things that make us an awesome duo.

1. We can read each other's minds.

Coincidence? I think not! I feel that if you have a connection with someone you live with, your brains are bound to become one. Very superstitious, but totally normal with us.

2. We love our Netflix nights each week. 

Every week, my roommate and I end up watching anything on Netflix that seems interesting. No matter whether it is a good or bad show/movie, we will always bring it up during our daily conversations. A memorable night was when we watched the Netflix original film "SPF-18" with the handsome Noah Centineo. Let's just say, whenever the movie gets mentioned, all we do is burst out laughing and cringe inside.

3. We are dining hall buddies.

Since we both detest eating at the dining hall alone, we end up going together. Eating during Late Night at Pennsylvania Avenue Residence Hall (PAR) has become a tradition. A very unhealthy tradition, but it completes our day.

4. We are not afraid to open up to one another.

Every day, we ask one another how our days went. We tell each other our hopes, dreams, fears, and secrets. It makes living with each other more comfortable. We've become each other's cheerleader!

5. We go on adventures together. 

Whether it is taking two buses to go eat at Olive Garden, shopping at the mall, attending parties, or average shenanigans at our residence hall, we are never bored of one another. I can't wait to see what other adventures await us.

I am glad to have an amazing roommate who cares about my well being and vice versa. We lift each other up, hug when we're sad, and laugh at the most random thing ever. From inside jokes to heart-to-heart moments, I found a best friend in my roommate. And I am eternally grateful.

All in all, thank you, university housing, for putting us together.