God's Peace Truly Passes All Understanding

If you want true peace, come to Jesus and let Him give it to you.

298
Leslie Jessie

This week I have been on vacation in Destin, Florida. The thought that I have had is simply one word: peace. We have all heard Philippians 4:7 quoted multiple times, and if you haven't, you are about to. In this verse in the King James Version, the Apostle Paul wrote, "And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

I love how easy Paul made it sound to have this profound peace. Let's be honest though, it does not always seem as easy as he put it. Being someone who is a worrier, having peace at all, much less peace that passes all understanding appears impossible at times. I have to constantly remind myself that my God specializes in the impossible and that His Word is truth.

I remember the first time that someone called me out for my worrying. My third-grade teacher told me that I was a "worry wart" after I asked her if we had homework the night before just to be completely sure. I used to ask "What if" questions so much that my dad would say things like, "What if aliens abducted us right now? That wouldn't happen just like what you're saying would never happen. Stop worrying so much."

When I got older and really started digging deep into the Bible, I wrote out Philippians 4:7 on a piece of notebook paper and taped it on my bathroom mirror. It was not in colorful or fancy handwriting, but it was real and genuine. It was the first thing I saw every morning, and I chanted it over and over again to myself while I got ready. The power of God's Word is truly amazing because just speaking it over myself in the mornings helped me claim the promise.

There are moments in life when peace is the farthest thing from your mind. It does not even seem like an option, so you place your hope in other things that ultimately do nothing for your situation nor the state of your soul. I don't know what your other thing is; maybe it is your social media following, your GPA, or maybe even something more intense like drugs or alcohol.

I am going to be brutally honest: no amount of followers or likes will bring you peace, a 4.0 will not bring you peace, and one more "wild" or "lit" night is definitely not going to bring you peace. It is Jesus Christ Who will bring you peace, and it is a peace that passes all understanding.

If you are struggling with worry, anxiety, or fear, please do not look to the world to alleviate those things. It is the things of the world that feed into them not stop them. Please know that God loves you and wants you to live a peaceful life. He is so much more than Instagram followers, He is so much more than good grades, and He is so much more than what you think you get out of going to parties. Jesus will give you life like you have never known before.