Here’s To Our Next Lesson: Healing

Here’s To Our Next Lesson: Healing

The biggest lesson of all is to open back up and pick up the pieces we dropped along the way.

205
Here’s To Our Next Lesson: Healing
bichnguyenvo via Pixabay

There was a point in each and every one of our lives when we were our best and most open self. You weren’t scared to fail, you not only wished for but expected the best, and your inner courage had your inner fear beat. This is how we were born to be—accepting of what we are and letting what makes us, us, shine. Life is full of tests, thought—these come in the form of struggle and that lame feeling of being lost.

These chapters change us, as we were just growing our gift and sharing our hearts only to have something big make us go “yikes, I should be more careful next time.” And suddenly, that’s how we live—carefully. Second guessing our beliefs, becoming the one in our head yelling “booo!,” and slowly thinking maybe life isn’t as magical as you thought it was. Our faith is shaken. I remember things falling apart and being like "Really? Is anyone up there? Hellooo I think you forgot about me." Where'd the magic go?

That’s the thing—life is still magical. This is still a world where life can hold pleasant surprises in place of a fear of being hurt or judged. Life is still beautiful; you just got dealt a curveball. And the curveball has a ripple effect that closes us up. But the biggest lesson of all is to open back up. To get your hopes up even though it’s scary, to love yourself despite the people who didn’t, and to trust that being a kind, open person is the whole point, no matter who doesn’t get it.

If you’re looking around and wondering “why me?,” or “what could the point have possibly been?,” this is it. This is the whole point. To re-learn love—love life, love yourself for just what you are, love the ones who lift you up, and to love the chapter that broke you, as it’s the same one that can teach healing. All the best advice I’ve ever gotten has never been from the ones who don’t show the broken parts of themselves—the chapter we don’t read aloud.

Wrong turns, falling down, feeling lost: these are stories of healing from those we admire. And when this chapter is over, and you’re back and better than ever, open to the experiences we are blessed enough to have—your story might be just what someone needs. Embrace all the “flaws,” because they are the furthest thing from them. Know that all you once were is still in you—you just forgot for a little because life made you.

For me, speaking up in class, no matter how seriously shaky it makes me (was that dumb? Yikes it was. Crickets aren't a good sign). Makes me feel strong and unbroken by fear. So does stopping to classify myself as "shy"...limiting as heck. Shake off anyone who makes you feel less than perfect.

Surround yourself with people who see the best in you and your journey. Do your best, even if some days, your best is crappy. Don’t compare yourself to others; comparison can’t be done when we were born to be different. Tell your story and unapologetically preach your quiet chapter. These are the steps to healing—to stepping back into love for the peace within you God knew had to be in this world. Here’s to our next lesson: healing.