The New York Neighbor

The New York Neighbor

Five common faces of the people nearest you

20
The New York Neighbor
Thespruce.com

New York City... Home of the Empire State Building, the New York slice, Statue of Liberty, some of the best night life you ever did experience, and the New York Neighbor. That's right, anyone who has lived in a tenement in the big apple likely has some interesting stories to tell thanks to the many elements of personality and cultures that make up the people who live closest to us. Our neighbors. While I don't imagine some of the things listed here are 100% unique to New York City, these are things I or commonly witnessed in by permanent residents there.

1.The Neighbor of Ethnic Cuisine

Depending on where you live, this type of neighbor may or may not be as common these days. However, it used to be that you couldn't go far from home without smelling the particular aromas and spices borne from a dish outside of your cultural sphere, and the culinary efforts of a neighbor as near as next door, or as far as two floors down. Sometimes you didn't even have to leave your living room if your window was open to smell what your neighbor had cooking. Whether it was a mix of spices attached to a chilli or curry dish, the heady aroma of a stew, or the pungent odor of some mystery dish you could always be sure this neighbor had something interesting cooking. Whether you wanted them to or not.

2.The Neighbors of the Arts

You're probably aware that NYC is home to some of the most wonderful theatrical and musical acts known to the masses. The city also boasts a pretty robust art community. What you may not be aware of is that many tenements in NYC contain some of the best free concerts and sidewalk art auctions available. All you have to do is walk into the door of your lobby or stand outside of your door for the chance to be a part of it all. The music never ends. Well... it seemingly never ends. And there seems to always be an art sale every other week (weather permitting). Whether you're a fan of classical or have modern sensibilities, there's something for everyone, thanks to your very own neighbor(s) of the arts.

3.The Neighbor of Vices

This neighbor might be the topic of many colorful conversations across the city thanks to his/her role in your tenement. If you've lived a prudish life and never partook in smoking, drinking, or debauchery this is the neighbor you end forced to live vicariously through. If both of your windows are open at the same time you get a first hand experience of what tobacco or marijuana smell like, as well as the secondhand smoke to match. But that's not all that comes from this neighbor's place. In the middle of the night, you'll probably be left wondering if you mistakenly wandered into adult film studio for the night with all the racket you hear. Not to mention the different people you see coming and going come the next day. This neighbor is probably the most intrusive, but at least you know they're the one to turn to if you run out of booze or smokes or people to mingle with.

4.The Neighbor of Many Children

My personal nightmare in neighbor form, this neighbor is self-explanatory. Best case scenario, this neighbor lives at least two floors below yours, on the opposite end of the building, and uses a different entrance than you do at different times of the day. Worst case scenario, they live above you and have an almost similar schedule. Somehow this neighbor manages to fit many, many children into what should be no more than a two-bedroom apartment. This leaves you dreading any time that may force people to remain in doors: inclement weather, late evenings, early mornings, the time slot of an insanely popular children's show. It also leaves you wondering just how many laps seven children can run in their own house over the course of their lives and yours before someone finally gets tired of it.The walls or ceiling above become the only barrier between you and whatever circus is going on behind it, because damn those kids can get downright crazy. Running into them outside is no better, because then you end up cursing yourself for not using the sweet moments of peace their absence will bring.

5.The Elderly Neighbor

My personal favorite, the elderly neighbor is the neighbor who's probably lived in the building since its inception. She's seen more people come and go than any one else and has forgotten just as many. I say she because many times it seems to be a nice old lady who fills this role, though it can be an equally nice old man too. This is the neighbor who talks with you--or at you--whether you want them to or not, and you can't help but stay and listen because man would it be rude if you just up and left mid story. When they finally finish half an hour later, you both say your goodbyes and look forward to the next lengthy chat you guys will have. Sometimes you can get the opposite kind of elderly neighbor. This is the one that really wants nothing to do with you. Years of seeing so many people come and go has somewhat addled their mind, leaving them with an acute sense of paranoia when it comes to you. Whenever they see you coming behind them or entering the building, the worst look of dread spreads across their face, and they warily ask you if you live in the building. Of course you answer yes every time, and explain that you just had this same exchange the day before, but they never seem to remember. But hey, at least they're not going wild like some of the other people in your tenement.

As I mentioned, these neighbors probably exist everywhere, but I get the feeling that they exist in abundance in the city. I certainly didn't have neighbors like this outside of the city. Makes you wonder what ever happened to the neighbor who comes by just to borrow a cup of sugar.