'The New Wave'

'The New Wave'

How the influence of fashion and music is creation a new generation of artist and creators.

33
'The New Wave'
Hypebeast

When you look at Hip Hop or music videos on MTV, BET, or MTV U, different people have different focus points they look at. The dancing, the singing, the choreography etc. But for me...it’s always been the style. This summer 16’ I really got to experience where all the creativity and progress was coming from. During late May, my parents and I agreed to let me live in Baltimore, Maryland with some family, and I couldn’t be more excited. I worked for a sports marketing company that had a huge partnership with Under Armor and for me that denoted that I got to make money and travel around the eastern coast of the US and really learn what it’s like to be on the forefront of culture in not just sports but nightlife and fashion. While looking back on this summer, I have really solidified who the three people are who have the most influence on this new wave of fashion, music, and culture in general.

Ian Connor

Not a lot of people know what this kid does but believe me he shows how you can use the internet to your advantage. Ian Conner was born January 2, 1993 in NYC and in my eyes is the “King of the Youth.” I see this guy on Twitter and Instagram all the time. He really became popular off of Tumblr but working in the fashion industry doesn’t hurt. He was featured in Kanye West’s Yeezy line where during the fashion, he show smoked a cigarette and in our minds eye became one of the coolest people. He now is being mentored by Kanye West and also has had his stint in creation of some dope pieces. Like the Ian Conner+Pink Dolphin Vest and even this new shoe with Vans called "RevengeXStorm." He did have a little falling off when he had an altercation with Theophilus London in France at the VLONE opening but after that he just went to Japan to work on his clothes and it blew over, and now he has just purchased his own Condo in Houston. Doing it big and he's only 23.

Lil Yachty

The first time I ever saw Lil Yachty live was on a random summer night, I’m hanging out with my friend Jordan in Staten Island, New York and he turns to me and says “Hey want to go see the XXL Freshman Tour in Times Square tickets are 30 bucks.” So of course I say yes and one of the performers was Yachty a.k.a Lil Boat. He said once in an interview for XXL that he makes positive music and I completely agree, but he is so much more. This is one of the few of the only rappers who constantly puts out songs like clockwork and is all over the internet. At the show I felt a feeling I can only describe as complete euphoria. The way the music and scythed beats mixed with hard pounding baselines, trinkets and rainbow like sounds really all comes together. Another random fact is that he used to model and was also in a Yeezy Season 2 like Ian Connor. Speaking of that, Yachty and Ian Connor are close friends and the first time Kanye West heard of Lil Yachty was because Ian and Kanye were in the car together and Ian got ahold of the aux cord and started playing a Yachty song and Kanye west impressed. Fashion and music has at the forefront of it all.

Lil Uzi Vert

Lil Uzi Vert the Philadelphia native is by far going to be the next superstar if he already isn’t one. Just to name a few facts, he has four absolute killer mixtapes: Luv Is Rage, The Real Uzi, Lil Uzi Vert vs. The World, and The Perfect LUV. He is a firm supporter of “I’m not a rapper, I’m a rock star” group which most of the newer artist are saying which causes problems for the older generation. He has one of the biggest internet footprints I have ever seen. To give you an example, this is the same person that broke up with his girlfriend Brittany, and then instantly was on the "moments" wall on Twitter, and released a song to a cool 40,000 downloads and listens by noon the next day after its release the night before. That’s not all either! His fashion is by far the best. He just did a fashion shoot for VLONE a brand made by A$AP Bari with lots of help from A$AP Rocky. He also is a huge supporter of Off-White Virgil Baloch’s brand. Marukami, DSquared, Goyard, and Yeezy. He rocks all of them and makes those brands huge stacks of money.