The New Orleans Pothole Epidemic

The New Orleans Pothole Epidemic

If we didn't have potholes, would New Orleans really even be New Orleans?

203
The New Orleans Pothole Epidemic
Photo courtesy of @potholesofneworleans via Instagram

I remember when I just moved back to New Orleans like it was just yesterday... I decided to go on a run one day becasue I'm athletic AF, and I completely ate it. I honestly forgot that potholes do in fact exist in New Orleans. I was about seven seconds into my run and I fall flat on my face and crack my whole iPhone screen... and of course, there were people who saw me fall. I have now memorized the pothole pattern of my running route and don't need to look down, but trust me every now and then I do trip. (Here's a tip, let your car deal with the potholes and just drive to a park where you can run on nicely paved walkways.)

It's fine y'all, it not like all of my clothes have coffee stains on them (If you're thinking about moving to New Orleans you should think about investing in cups with lids... ) because every time I drive down my street it's like there's an earthquake. Also, I really love helping the local economy when I have to replace my shock absorbers every two weeks. Don't even get me started on all the construction around the city. I love that we are trying to fix this pothole epidemic, but it would be reassuring to take the same route to one place and back. I swear there's a new route every time I try to get from my hose to the Whole Foods on Magazine. Oh, and when it rains... just look at this GIF. (Peace, love, living under sea level!)

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F10%2F17%2F636122650688564009-996631615_giphy.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=26&h=df9eb3096210f158cc1afec084062fb26437235c415a2822d3621f65a0fa0244&size=980x&c=2779284657 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F10%252F17%252F636122650688564009-996631615_giphy.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D26%26h%3Ddf9eb3096210f158cc1afec084062fb26437235c415a2822d3621f65a0fa0244%26size%3D980x%26c%3D2779284657%22%7D" expand=1]

The great thing about New Orleanians though, is that we make the most of our pothole situation. We celebrated Sinkhole de Mayo this past year and there is even an Instagram account dedicated to the greatness of New Orleans potholes. Around Carnival time people will fill their potholes with beads. I've seen potholes filled with oyster shells and even filled with ice and beer. Potholes come in so many different shapes and sizes, no two potholes are the same. Just like the people of New Orleans. Potholes give New Orleans almost just as much character as the people do, and that's why I'm cool with potholes. If we didn't have potholes, would New Orleans really even be New Orleans?